Kveik yeast - shipping warm/hot weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a need for ice packs? These yeast like to ferment 90 degrees f. Would the hot weather in FedEX or a mailbox hut these little guys?

Yeah, because you don't want them to go off until you are ready to pitch. I've gotten a few even with the ice pack that were pretty puffy. They still worked, but I thought it was iffy. :mug:

Dry yeast no ice packs.

Some resellers are sending dry kveik from different styles and they are robust arriving in plastic test tube or pot.

Sorry no links for these resellers of dry kveik yeast strains but, I think try ebay.

Lallemand do Voss kveik in a packet which you could get online as a first trial with kveik.
Ebay or Etsy, but these are generally not major yeast companies but individuals selling their dried slurry, so you really don't know what you may be getting. Might be fun and interesting. :mug:

I'd go with the llalamand Dry Voss until you can get to a LHBS or it cools off. Of course there is always the option of ordering the kveik you want with the icepack and see what it looks like when it arrives. You may have to do a starter, but I don't think it will be totally dead.

You may want to look up Yeaster Bunny on Ebay they look pretty legit and in the descriptions they let you know if the yeast contains any lacto. I may get some of their stuff. Check them out. :mug:

Last edited:
I’ll say the Lallemond Voss. It’s a great and near idiot proof. I’ve made some good beers with it. No need for ice pack as it’s dry.

By the way I’ve used this yeast like 4 times and you’re gonna want a blowoff tube.

Yup, that was me. The Espe was nice, gonna try the Arset tomorrow in a Tropical DIPA.
Just pitched the Arset. Sitting at 90 degrees in my hot garage. Did a WP with 5 ounces of hops, another 10 ounces will be coming in DH (2 stages)! I'm expecting a Tropical fruit bomb.

Back