Kvass Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panzerschwein

Reaction score
Hello all, first post! :)

I wasn’t precisely sure where to put a “kvass” thread as it is really somewhat more closely related to beer than other fermented beverages? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section!

Anyway, kvass is an Eastern European fermented drink made from grains or bread. It is supposed to be low alcohol, only around 1% there’s about. But, I just made my first batch and while it tastes very very good, it seems a bit “boozy” and to me tastes like a weak wine. Clearly, the ABV is far higher than 1%. Here it is chilling in the fridge:

D9-E1498-E-DA26-4-F31-8-AB0-BCDAF4840-B65.jpg

So the recipe I used basically consists of boiling 1.5 liters of water then throwing in two pieces of nearly-burnt dark rye bread toast and a fistful of raisins. Then you strain the liquid, mix in 3.5 oz of sugar and 1 teaspoon baker’s yeast, and add new raisins. You let that sit for 48 hours, strain it, let it cool in the fridge for maybe overnight (also lets the yeast settle) and that’s it.

So the goal is to produce a bit of a slightly fizzy, slightly tangy, low-alcohol refreshing drink. Goes good with borscht or stroganoff etc. So for my next batch, should I reduce the sugar, the yeast, wait less time, or something else?

Like I said I already tasted it and it’s like a lightly bubbly apple cider with a toasty, malty aftertaste. But mine seems to have just too much alcohol for sure.

Thoughts? Thanks for having me!

-Panzerschwein

I've done 'The Tsar's Kvass' recipe from the AHA forum a couple times and it turns out well. But the recipe sounds completely different from yours, which to be honest, sounds more like a prison hootch.
Sorry, early morning precoffee sometimes brings out the troll in me.
To answer your question, if it's too high in alcohol for what you're looking for, then cut out the sugar. The sugar is there just to boost up the ABV.
And welcome to the forum! :mug:

My estimate has you at 4-4 5% abv. For a 1.5l batch, you want between ¾-1oz sugar to be close to 1-1.5%abv.

Thank you! I wonder if there should be more fizz? Mine is pretty flat, though I recall it is supposed to be a somewhat bubbly product.

The good news is their are 0 off flavors or aromas. It smells of fresh rye toast and is a little bit tangy or appley in taste, just a bit flat.

I’m also not sure of the proper sweetness level. Mine isn’t really sweet at all. Is there even a way to get a low ABV product that’s bubbly and slightly sweeter?

Mine isn’t really sweet at all. Is there even a way to get a low ABV product that’s bubbly and slightly sweeter?
I feel like you need a better understanding of fermentation basics. Read How to brew by John Palmer - you can find free online versions, they are usually past editions but good enough for the basics.

I can attempt to help but there are too many "what if's" that are choices that you will have to make alone.

Table Sugar is simple and will always ferment dry under basic conditions (exceptions apply). To make a sweet or off-dry beverage, you need to exceed the alcohol tolerance for your yeast, add a non-fermentable sugar or stop your yeast at its desired gravity (near impossible for at-home brewing). Best options are to add a non-fermentable sugar like xylitol to your desired sweetness or to sweeten in the glass - splash of soda or simple syrup.
Soda would actually be easiest since its sweet and would add carbonation as well as lower the abv.

Alternatively, if you are cautious about the amount of sugar you add, you can carbonate in a bottle. If you have a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, you can make your batch in it. Keeping to a 1.5l batch size and sugar to max of 1.25oz, you should be able to carbonation and ferment in the 2l soda bottle.

Start with the bottle cap loosely on. Once fermentation appears to have stopped, add 3-4grams of sugar and cap cap the 2L bottle. Should carbonate to approximately 2vol of co2 over the next 1-3 days, kinda like a light beer.

I made a kvass a couple of years ago. I didn't use a lot of added sugar or "a fistful of raisins", only a couple at the end as part of the priming sugar basically. Mine turned out 1% ABV, very light, well carbonated, a bit yeasty, quite dry, and not particularly tangy or funky but just a clean mild bready kvass. Mine:

upload_2019-10-14_7-13-3.png

So for my next batch, should I reduce the sugar, the yeast, wait less time, or something else?
I vote to add less yeast. Try 1/4 tsp with the same recipe & process. Some trial and error will lead you to the correct amount of yeast for your particular conditions.

The issue you had was that it fermented dry too quickly.
Your goal is to refrigerate it to stop fermentation before it reaches dryness, but after there's been a little alcohol, acid, and CO2 production.

Carbonation is produced by fermentation in a closed vessel, so you could close the jars or bottles a couple hours before putting in the fridge. Don't wait too long or it will over-carbonate and eventually explode.

Cheers
If you have a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, you can make your batch in it.
I think you're forgetting the recipe included a couple pieces of heavily toasted bread. I know I wouldn't want to have to squeeze those into a bottle.

I was sharing my homebrew adventures on another forum and a friend in Moscow asked if I had ever tried kvas (her spelling). I haven't but curiosity is my middle name so now I may have to! (also, I'm a writer and a character in my current project is now interested in trying, also because Russian friends, so I feel in the interest of literary accuracy I should make an effort. lol)

Latest posts

Back