Krausen stains on speidel fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
Purchased a new speidel fermenter a little while ago and just finished my 3rd brew in it.

The way I've been cleaning is just to blast the krausen ring with hot water which works very well, and then using a soft sponge to scrub off any stubborn parts.

I've noticed rings being left behind from the krausen line, or beer line or something.

It seems clean, just looks like a stain. Couldn't find another thread about this so thought I'd ask if other people have stains/rings on the speidels or if this is normal.

I have not used anything other than water to clean. I suppose I could use PBW, it just hasn't seemed necessary since all the krausen seems to come off pretty easily.

Thanks!

I do the same with mine. I first spray it with hot water to remove as much as I can. Then I mix about 1 gallon of PBW solution and shake that up in the fermentor for about 30 minutes. After rinsing off the PBW it looks brand new. I've used it for around 15 batches and never had to scrub or touch the inside of the fermentor.

What concentration of PBW are you folks using? So far seems like people do not have any stain looking rings. I'll try some PBW and see if they go away.

Just the standard amount recommended on the PBW container for fermentors.

So you just shake it around every couple minutes for 1/2 hour or so? Obviously you are not shaking the whole time. I was hoping to get away from using so much pbw with the speidel. I don't mind making a gallons worth at fermentor concentration though.

I forgot you can seal that thing tight! So handy. I just made a gallon pbw swirled around and rested on its side at different angles. I can still see the rings, faintly. I find it hard to believe no one else has those.

I also noticed the surface is a little rough around the seam in the middle of the fermentor. So now I will worry about that for a while :)

Latest posts

Back