Krausen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I'm 11 days into fermentation on my Belgian Dubbel. Things started normally, by the peak of fermentation it had about a 3 inch krausen layer built. This layer never went away even as fermentation slowed down, it also looks kinda shinny/slimey. I posted earlier about this situation and someone said that the wyeast trappist high gravity yeast tends to slow down and a good swirl can help out plus warmer fermentation temps. Well today I grabbed the fermenter by the neck and sloshed the beer until all of that nasty head sank to the bottom. 10 minutes later it looked like explosions coming from the trub on the bottom of the better bottle as this stuff started floating back to the surface. 2 hours later the whole layer was back above the beer just like it was before I sloshed it. Anyone know what I'm dealing with here, could it be infectous or is this just the way that trappist high gravity yeast acts? thanks for any info

Nah, you're perfectly fine. In fact, I just did the same thing with one of mine thats fermenting. The krausen didnt want to go down, so I gave it a gentle shake like you did, and most of it fell, and the stuff that came back up was much less. Eventually the krausen started forming "islands" and then dissapeared completley. Done worry, itll be fine :mug:

I think you just roused the yeast a bit. Stirring it around caused some of the stuff at the bottom to kick back into life.

Back