Krausen falling, time to turn up the heat??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrelAgedForrest

Reaction score
Ok so ive been reading a lot and feel i know the answer. The set up is my 6.5 gal carboy, 5 gallons of 1.106 RIS, a fermwrap and temp control set up.

Pitched 2 packs of fairly rehydrated us05 at about 73 degrees as i knew the house was gonna get chilly over night sunday when i brewed. Pitched yeast at about 11pm. Its been rocking and rolling since monday afternoon, krausen was huge tuesday and wednesday. wednesday night it started to sink a tad but was still bubbling like crazy in my blowoff water. It hasnt gotten below 18.1celcius and it seems to be topping out at 22.5. So a fairly safe range. I raised the minimum temp last night to 19.1 celcius and now that the krausen is showing a large drop is it now the time to raise it to a fair 70degrees to help the yeastys along??? Its fairly far into the fermentation so i shouldnt be to worried about off flavors correct???

I brewed an American Stout 3 months ago and noted that the krausen fell very suddenly after 2 days of intense fermentation. But my airlock continued to bubble for 4-5 days at a steady 5ish times a minute. I kept my carboy next to the radiator in my kitchen so it could range between 65-75 F (18.5-23.5 C). I did not experience any off flavors, but it is said that stouts are among the most forgiving beer styles given the amount of roasted malts in them. Roasted malts have a tendency to hide any minor off flavors from ever appearing. So, my answer to you is no, you should not worry about off flavors, just worry about letting your yeast eat as much as possible to hit your FG. Cheers.

I had an OG of 1.078 and a FG of 1.027. I used 1 pack of us05. I was aiming high with the FG to leave a lot of body.

Back