krausen and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpd85

Reaction score
So I brewed a Vienna + Saaz Smash with US-05 last Thursday, OG at 1.054. I tested today and it's down to 1.006. I would assume it's good to bottle, and I am in a hurry to get it done as quickly as possible. Problem is that there still a decent amount of foam on top and the sample was pretty cloudy/chunky. Even at this low a gravity, is it possible active fermentation isn't done and I shouldn't bottle?

So I brewed a Vienna + Saaz Smash with US-05 last Thursday, OG at 1.054. I tested today and it's down to 1.006. I would assume it's good to bottle, and I am in a hurry to get it done as quickly as possible. Problem is that there still a decent amount of foam on top and the sample was pretty cloudy/chunky. Even at this low a gravity, is it possible active fermentation isn't done and I shouldn't bottle?

How long was it fermenting? Kept at warm temps? Based off the krausen still there and it still being chunky (needs time to clean up), I would guess it is almost done and just starting the clean itself up. Obviously, as every single other person will reply and tell you : only hydrometer testing every day over the next few days will give you a definitive answer. best of luck

It's been 8 days and you want to bottle? Too soon. If you really want to rush, take another reading in 2 days and if they match it is done. I usually take my first reading somewhere around day 10-14, then another 2 days later.

The yeast still does more work after it finishes eating wort sugar, and that makes your beer better.

Ok sounds good. fermenting 8 days at 58-62F ambient temp. The reason I want to bottle is I have to leave the country last minute tomorrow. I'll be gone for two weeks, so I suppose I can bottle when I get back. It will have been nearing 4 weeks in primary at that point.

Ok sounds good. fermenting 8 days at 58-62F ambient temp. The reason I want to bottle is I have to leave the country last minute tomorrow. I'll be gone for two weeks, so I suppose I can bottle when I get back. It will have been nearing 4 weeks in primary at that point.

That's really cold for S05. It gets sort of weirdly peachy at under 64 degrees, and can go very slow or stall at under 62 degrees. That's why it's taking so long, I think.

That's really cold for S05. It gets sort of weirdly peachy at under 64 degrees, and can go very slow or stall at under 62 degrees. That's why it's taking so long, I think.

Not arguing, just asking...

US-05 data sheet shows
fermentation temperature: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-22°C (59-71.6°F)

I've been aiming for the lower end, with wort temps in the "ideal" range about 16.5 dec c (61.7)

I guess i assumed those that make the stuff listed "ideal" temps that would impart what the yeast is advertised for "American ale yeast producing well balanced beers with low diacetyl and a very clean, crisp end palate. Forms a firm foam head and presents a very good ability to stay in suspension during fermentation."

But you're saying we will get off flavors if we ferment in what Fermentis states is the ideal range...:confused:

That sucks... just when i thought i was doing this right,,,,:mad:

If we can't follow the yeast makers "ideal" temp suggestions...where do we find a better resource for such things?

Thanks.. (and now I run off to change the temp on my ferm chamber for the brew that went in a few hours ago using US-05)

I normally think the manufacturer's specs is the best info, but in my experience, S05 really has a much narrower optimum range. I prefer it at 66-70 degrees, ideally 68. Above 72 it can get estery, but it's worse at colder temperature in my opinion. Since it seems to take a long time to clear for me, I don't use it as often as others do because of the flavors at low temperatures and that slow clearing.

It does make a nice clean tasting beer at 68 degrees, for sure.

I normally think the manufacturer's specs is the best info, but in my experience, S05 really has a much narrower optimum range. I prefer it at 66-70 degrees, ideally 68. Above 72 it can get estery, but it's worse at colder temperature in my opinion. Since it seems to take a long time to clear for me, I don't use it as often as others do because of the flavors at low temperatures and that slow clearing.

It does make a nice clean tasting beer at 68 degrees, for sure.
:ban:

Thank you// 68 it is for this batch then

I had aimed for the 62-64 ambient given that internal will be higher. As of yesterday I raised it to 64-66 since most of the activity has died down. Tasting the gravity sample, it is the best batch I've tasted so far so I can't wait until it's ready

I'll be gone for two weeks, so I suppose I can bottle when I get back. It will have been nearing 4 weeks in primary at that point.

That's what I'd do.
Waiting the additional two weeks will only improve your beer and probably allow you to put a nice clear (bright) brew into your bottles.:mug:

bosco

I had aimed for the 62-64 ambient given that internal will be higher. As of yesterday I raised it to 64-66 since most of the activity has died down. Tasting the gravity sample, it is the best batch I've tasted so far so I can't wait until it's ready

That's probably a good guess, as ambient often does differ from fermentation temperature by quite a bit. We are always talking about beer temperature, not ambient temperature. I have a couple of "stick on" type thermometers so I can see the beer temperature at a glance, and that's helpful.

Latest posts

Back