Komos V2 Kegerator, compressor not coming on, it is making the clicking noise but is not coming on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
Hey, just got a replacement kegerator as the last Komos made a ton of noise. The new one did not make the weird noises the last did, i swapped the tower and everything over and it worked great for a few days and then the compressor started making a high pitched noise and I looked at the troubleshooting manual online and it said to unplug it for 3-5 minutes and plug it back in. Once I did that the compressor has never gone back on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or had similar issues?

Can't say that I've had either of those issues to be honest. Sucks that you're dealing w/this though. My first unit arrived dented, which were symptomatic of other issues which eventually cropped up. Turns out the compressor itself was also damaged. It just cycled on and off..ALOT and the wiring to the left of it would pool up water on the floor. Ended up putting some sponges in there to soak up the drips, just figured that was the way it was prior to the compressor causing fits.

My replacement unit has been rock solid, no issues. Keep it at 34 w/the circulation fan running 24/7 and it is super quiet outside of normal operating noises. Kegland has a vid/audio file of the noises you should expect to hear from this thing.

So I'm looking at purchasing the Komos V2. I've been searching through the threads for any info, good or bad. So far except for a few issues it looks like a good kegerator. I'm wondering though how much clearance is there at the top of a corny keg for the keg connections inside? Thanks!

from top of keg to top of the inside space is 3.5", I use standard grey and black ball locks on my cornys and have no issues. I use a sankey with a ball lock adapter and it gets tight at the top.

In all of my reearch the Komos v2 is elite among the others, your talking about a company that built these for the home brewers in mind. My issues are minor in my opinion and happen. I know several people who have V2's and V1's and are happy as clams...

I will say that the manufacturer stands by the product and has been great through the process.

Thanks for the information, that's helps alot! I'll only be using the black/grey ball locks so that clearance should be just fine. It was hard to tell on all of the pictures I looked at. Great to get real world experience - thanks again!

Thanks for the information, that's helps alot! I'll only be using the black/grey ball locks so that clearance should be just fine. It was hard to tell on all of the pictures I looked at. Great to get real world experience - thanks again!

This should give you a pretty good idea of how it all fits together. I've gotten a Sanke keg to fit where that 1.5G is right now and the door closed w/o issue. I put ball lock connectors on it, but had to get an angle adapter, otherwise it was too tall.

IMG_3900.JPG

funny you should ask this. i was gifted a keggerator mini fridge on friday of last week. it never turned on, but i ripped it apart and put my multi meter to the temp control/on/off switch, it was shot, shorted the leads and plugged it into and external temp controller. purin away now.

if it was making a whining noise though, all could think if it is the same problem i had. maybe it didn't have the start voltage to turn it over? you could tear it apart and test the switch. mine was $40 and came with a 1/2 barrel SS coors keg in it though.

@OakIslandBrewery I have had 2 corny kegs a 1/4 barrel slim and my 5lb Co2 tank in the Komos at the same time with the door shut. If i were to do it all over again, I would go with slim torpedo 5 gallon kegs as you can fit 4 in the kegerator with a 5lb Co2 tank!

@OakIslandBrewery I have had 2 corny kegs a 1/4 barrel slim and my 5lb Co2 tank in the Komos at the same time with the door shut. If i were to do it all over again, I would go with slim torpedo 5 gallon kegs as you can fit 4 in the kegerator with a 5lb Co2 tank!

You've seen this done? Just looking at the math...that doesn't seem possible.

Thank you Knightshade & TsunamiMike - I purchased the Komos V2 this morning. It's backordered right now but that will give me time to clear out the area where it'll go. Thanks for all your help!

If you haven't trashed the first kegerator yet, I think I might have some insight into the problem. Most of the refrigerators (and, I assume kegerators) these days use a start capacitor/relay to start the compressor; and they are NOTORIOUS for failing. I have two newer french door refrigerators as well as an older one that is the kegerator; BOTH of the french door fridges (one is 10 years old, the other about 5) have had failed capacitors. Amazon sells an item called a 3-in-1 start capacitor for about $10-12 bucks, manufactured by Supco; I have them in both of the french door refrigerators (one is my ferment fridge) and they've never had a problem since. The older fridge has had one for over 2 years, works just great. If you do decide to go this route, and your kegerator compressor is 1/5 HP, I have an extra one you can have for shipping; they make two, the 810 is for smaller refrigerators (like dorm fridges, this is the one I have an extra of), and the 410 is for your standard larger refrigerator; I forget the HP rating.

Also, one other thing you can try; how long did you leave the kegerator unplugged before turning it back on? Compressors can take up to 4 hours to return back to equalized pressure of the refrigerant, otherwise they will not start.

Mine has started making a clicking noise but I believe it has nothing to do with the compressor, in my case. It keeps cycling through and it is maintaining a fairly constant temp......

If you haven't trashed the first kegerator yet, I think I might have some insight into the problem. Most of the refrigerators (and, I assume kegerators) these days use a start capacitor/relay to start the compressor; and they are NOTORIOUS for failing. I have two newer french door refrigerators as well as an older one that is the kegerator; BOTH of the french door fridges (one is 10 years old, the other about 5) have had failed capacitors. Amazon sells an item called a 3-in-1 start capacitor for about $10-12 bucks, manufactured by Supco; I have them in both of the french door refrigerators (one is my ferment fridge) and they've never had a problem since. The older fridge has had one for over 2 years, works just great. If you do decide to go this route, and your kegerator compressor is 1/5 HP, I have an extra one you can have for shipping; they make two, the 810 is for smaller refrigerators (like dorm fridges, this is the one I have an extra of), and the 410 is for your standard larger refrigerator; I forget the HP rating.

Also, one other thing you can try; how long did you leave the kegerator unplugged before turning it back on? Compressors can take up to 4 hours to return back to equalized pressure of the refrigerant, otherwise they will not start.

i'm glad i'm the only one that's lost track of what this thread is about. as far as i can tell it's not about getting the fridge to keep things cold it's about how many warm kegs you can fit in it now? ;) lol :mug: and for emphasis :lol:

Mine has started making a clicking noise but I believe it has nothing to do with the compressor, in my case. It keeps cycling through and it is maintaining a fairly constant temp......

do you have a multi meter? unplug the mini fridge and disconect the leads from the temp dial switch, put the multi meter on them, and see if they ever turn on? but it sounds like yours might just be 'going' out?

Right now I have a regular size Torpedo keg and three ball lock corny kegs in my Komos V2... But, I do need just a wee bit of duct tape to get it to close....

Just ordered this. It appears to be identical to what's in the Komos. Coming tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's going to work. Will post results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749M91BF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ASP0QZG6GJSSH88HSK97?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I tried that one and several others that the maker of the KOMOS said would work, no dice..... So because it was still in warranty <obviously> they shipped me a brand new one and havent had any issues other than the normal "swooshing" noises...

I did get this one for the "dead" one and it works perfectly now: Amazon.com: Supco RCO810 3 n' 1 START Hard Start Kit , Black : Industrial & Scientific

Hey, just got a replacement kegerator as the last Komos made a ton of noise. The new one did not make the weird noises the last did, i swapped the tower and everything over and it worked great for a few days and then the compressor started making a high pitched noise and I looked at the troubleshooting manual online and it said to unplug it for 3-5 minutes and plug it back in. Once I did that the compressor has never gone back on.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or had similar issues?
Mine has always clicked very loudly but, is still working fine as far as cooling .

I tried that one and several others that the maker of the KOMOS said would work, no dice..... So because it was still in warranty <obviously> they shipped me a brand new one and havent had any issues other than the normal "swooshing" noises...

I did get this one for the "dead" one and it works perfectly now: Amazon.com: Supco RCO810 3 n' 1 START Hard Start Kit , Black : Industrial & Scientific

Having not taken mine apart, where does this go? I just took a look at the back of mine and don’t see anything similar in shape?

Having not taken mine apart, where does this go? I just took a look at the back of mine and don’t see anything similar in shape?

This will show you where to look for the part I ordered:

I'd be interested in a link showing installation of the Supco.

This will show you where to look for the part I ordered:

I'd be interested in a link showing installation of the Supco.

Yeah..this one I get. It is that hard start kit that I was having trouble with, as it didn't look like a direct replacement for anything that existed. Just watched this vid, and apparently it is not. Think I've got it now...? Still hope it isn't knowledge I need to test anytime soon.

By the "dead" one, do you mean the Supco worked on a Komos Kegerator? If so, how did you connect it?

Nevermind, I see now that the capacitor comes right out, revealing the 3 pins. Going to give this a try.

This one was available sooner. Does it look equivalent?
https://www.amazon.com/RCO810-Capil...words=raven+rco810&qid=1636748406&s=hi&sr=1-3
I've been following along here, looks like you're getting some great advise from the folks here - way to go Home Brew Talk! I hope this solves your problems and gets you back in working order. I started collecting this info in case I need it someday. Good luck!

Sorry to read all this. I just bought the Kegland Series X as a scratch & dent from Williams Brewing. So far (1 week in) I absolutely love it. But if it doesn't make it at least 3 years, I will be disappointed. I hope you were able to salvage yours in some way (even if just re-using parts).

Sorry to come late to the party but wondering if this was resolved. I picked up a komos from a friend moving back to Ireland (less than 2 years old). It worked well for this long weekend. Just cleaned everyone and loaded with two kegs. This afternoon there was a bit of a rattle noise with the compressor running that my wife alerted me to. I came to investigate and couldn’t find anything clanking together on top or inside. It clicked off before I could roll in back from the wall and look at compressor. Thought many a loose screw or something. I asked her to open the door and turn down the temp so compressor would kick on. Wouldn’t restart. Tired unplugging for 10-20min without luck. I’m noticing the led is blinking now between two temps 2 degree F apart every 10seconds or so. I’m guessing that is a clue to the issue but haven’t been able to find any info on that. Any ideas?

Sorry to come late to the party but wondering if this was resolved. I picked up a komos from a friend moving back to Ireland (less than 2 years old). It worked well for this long weekend. Just cleaned everyone and loaded with two kegs. This afternoon there was a bit of a rattle noise with the compressor running that my wife alerted me to. I came to investigate and couldn’t find anything clanking together on top or inside. It clicked off before I could roll in back from the wall and look at compressor. Thought many a loose screw or something. I asked her to open the door and turn down the temp so compressor would kick on. Wouldn’t restart. Tired unplugging for 10-20min without luck. I’m noticing the led is blinking now between two temps 2 degree F apart every 10seconds or so. I’m guessing that is a clue to the issue but haven’t been able to find any info on that. Any ideas?

My knowledge is very limited, but I remember the instructions warned to let the unit sit upright for 24-48 hours before turning it on if it had set on it's side during transport. (I think oil and/or coolant may need to fully settle). Not sure if that applies in this situation or not. Bt perhaps another clue.

My knowledge is very limited, but I remember the instructions warned to let the unit sit upright for 24-48 hours before turning it on if it had set on it's side during transport. (I think oil and/or coolant may need to fully settle). Not sure if that applies in this situation or not. Bt perhaps another clue.
Sat about 36-40 before being wheeled from garage into kitchen (with no tilting). Transport was less than 40min, so I’m included to believe that is not the issue but who knows at this point. Leaving unplugged overnight.

Overnight rest did nothing. Hearing two clicks now in succession every few minutes. I read this could mean the relay is bad as suggested above and if you take it off and it rattles it is bad. Does anyone know the HP on the compressor? @TsunamiMike what replacements did KOMOS recommend?

Sounds like cheap compressor failure to me. I had a Magic Chef deep freeze do the same thing after running in the same place for 3 years. Just out of warranty of course! :)

Compressors do as compressors do. I’ve repaired a handful of refrigerator compressors in my lifetime and in almost all cases no cool means bad start relay and/or overload protector. The parts are very cheap and easy to replace (usually just socketing into the outside of compressor), but you’ll need to replace both at the same time. If you dont want to buy them without knowing for sure, you can pull them off and easily test with a multimeter for continuity… plenty of videos on youtube showing you how to do this.

I wasted an hour with a multimeter on mine. In fairness, my symptoms were a bit different. After unplugging mine would start and run for a few seconds, then stop.

I wish there were more repair resources these days. I hate that we have become a disposable society.

agreed @Hans O. Lowe I lost my first bevair kegerator because I couldn’t get anyone to work on it. I found my multimeter for first time since moving a few years ago ($1 church yard sale version). Opened her up. See pictures. Mine had a two part relay and overload set. Continuity good on three compressor pins. Relay appears to rattle so I think (hopefully) the issue (and source of noise before it shutdown). This is the white single prong piece. Bad continuity relay to overload connections. Good within overload (black piece). I think I found the correct part here based on it coming up first searching with part numbers (which don’t turn out to be in the listing).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087C25PDL/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glt_i_S7RBZ3RK1YX7E6XEBHW9
Some poor reviews on part but also ordered the 3 in 1 by pass mentioned above as well as backup.

HP looks be to 1/8 based on these specs.
https://lightcommercialrefrigeration.danfoss.com/pdf/danfoss_B60C5BL_R600a_115_60.pdf

Parts arrive tomorrow. We have a cold snap (below freezing overnight) so I put kegs in garage to keep cold. I was impressed that despite being unplugged internal temp only rose 1 degree overnight.
Hopefully thanks to this forum and Amazon will be pouring tomorrow night! 🤞

Attachments

• 4E5E83C0-5079-4E05-AA56-6DC5FF8A87C8.jpeg
    4E5E83C0-5079-4E05-AA56-6DC5FF8A87C8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 688A7D9F-6795-49EA-83FD-D887DBB13C49.jpeg
    688A7D9F-6795-49EA-83FD-D887DBB13C49.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 833584D3-B58A-4670-83F3-3C437A96701D.jpeg
    833584D3-B58A-4670-83F3-3C437A96701D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 9CA5F3A5-4FFF-41DA-B489-FC0295F53F8B.jpeg
    9CA5F3A5-4FFF-41DA-B489-FC0295F53F8B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
So Amazon drive just delivered the parts. A bit concerning the new PTC relay also rattled. I went ahead and installed. I noticed immediately that the compression turned on after a click, but then off. I noticed the PTC relay was sparking when it turns off and very hot. Do you all think I got a bad part or something else up? I thought it was a lose connection, so I crimped everything down tight on the spade connectors, but with same result.

Back