Komos Kegerator Bites The Dust at 14 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
Oh Joy. The Komos Kegerator I so carefully researched before buying last September now appears to be nothing more than a $700 paperweight. I keep this thing in my kitchen. I noticed the other day that instead of the 38 deg, I keep it set at, it was showing 55. I noticed that the compressor wasn't kicking in. I turned it off for several hours, and when I turned it on, all I got was a click, and no compressor. After spending two days trying to contact MOREBEER, who I bought it from, I was informed that there was nothing they could do since the warranty expired in September. Reckon I got a lemon. Lucky me. They did inform me that they carry parts, but interestingly enough, no compressor. They weren't even sure if the compressor is serviceable. I asked if I had any recourse at all, but no, I'm **** out of luck. I tried contacting local repair folks, but not surprisingly, none of them wanted to waste their time on a lowly kegerator. Apparently, these are meant to be thrown out and replaced every year if you're not mechanically inclined and can't fix it yourself. I don't know what I'll do next, but I certainly won't be buying another Komos Kegerator from Morebeer.com.

Last edited:
Oh Joy. The Komos Kegerator I so carefully researched before buying last September now appears to be nothing more than a $700 lb paperweight. I keep this thing in my kitchen. I noticed the other day that instead of the 38 deg, I keep it set at, it was showing 55. I noticed that the compressor wasn't kicking in. I turned it off for several hours, and when I turned it on, all I got was a click, and no compressor. After spending two days trying to contact MOREBEER, who I bought it from, I was informed that there was nothing they could do since the warranty expired in September. Reckon I got a lemon. Lucky me. They did inform me that they carry parts, but interestingly enough, no compressor. They weren't even sure if the compressor is serviceable. I asked if I had any recourse at all, but no, I'm **** out of luck. I tried contacting local repair folks, but not surprisingly, none of them wanted to waste their time on a lowly kegerator. Apparently, these are meant to be thrown out and replaced every year if you're not mechanically inclined and can't fix it yourself. I don't know what I'll do next, but I certainly won't be buying another Komos Kegerator from Morebeer.com.

If you bought it with AmEx you might have an extended warranty. Other credit cards might as well, call them and ask.

Last edited:
Correction, no one in this area works on, or will even look at kegerators. Looks like I'll be eating this one. Maybe I can find something from the local Lowes. At least they'll have a better warranty.

Hate to see you give up on it. Will VISA get the 2nd year of warranty?

If it does become a loss, why not build your own keezer? A used freezer from Craigslist and an Inkbird to control temps. You could cannibalize taps, lines, fittings, etc., from the kegerator and make something more of of what you want.

Correction, no one in this area works on, or will even look at kegerators.
They're just refrigerators, mechanically.
But, servicing consumer refrigeration products has become rare, and prohibitively expensive. 25-30 years ago it was a $75 service call or even a free diagnosis if you dropped it off.

It could be the starter cap, they're pretty generic. Or the compressor, which is quite a bit more involved to replace.

Yeah, as @MaxStout said, what about that VISA (extended) 2-year warranty? I wouldn't give up too fast on that.
And yup, build your own. Most parts will transfer, but use better tubing (4mm ID EVA-Barrier).

The Visa warranty only works if a tech tries to repair it. Absolutely no one will. I'm sick.

Any online troubleshooting from appliance repair parts sites? I've used them and youtube to fix a dishwasher and a stove

The Visa warranty only works if a tech tries to repair it. Absolutely no one will. I'm sick.
Go find an appliance repair facility and see if they can work out the warranty with VISA. Don't let them get away with it.

When I lived in North Eastern PA, 20-some years ago we used to have an appliance repair/service center nearby. Selling used fridges, freezers, stoves, etc. All checked over and functional. He would swap out refrigeration compressors. Took about 10-20 minutes to check the tubing system for leaks. If there were no leaks, he'd swap out the compressor and gas it back up.

Supco RCO410 Start Kit , BLACK
Brand: Supco
4.5 out of 5 stars 1,372 ratings

Price:$12.50$12.50 & FREE Returns

Thank you for being a Prime member. Get a $150 Gift Card: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.

May be available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.

• Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
  • For compressor sizes 1/4 through 1/3 HP
  • Combination relay, capacitator, and overload device
  • Model number: RCO410
  • Brand name: Supco
See more product details

Compare with similar items
Worked for me when my compressor wouldn't turn on an would only click.

I feel your pain. I used to have a True commercial refrigerator in my basement. I bought it best as I can figure 2003 or 2004. So I had it about 17 years. Bought it from a guy who had a beer distributor in South Philly and he didn’t need it. I was in the right place at the right time. It just died on me last week.

I smelled something burning and looked all around. Took me awhile to figure out it was the fridge. I unplugged it. Called a guy out who works on True and he said the startup relay had melted. He put a new one on it and I thought everything was going to be fine. Well after he left it was the same situation you describe, startup, fan runs, click, no compressor. At that point he said it wasn’t the relay and it wasn’t worth replacing the compressor on a unit that old. It wasn’t new when I got it. First he couldn’t even get the part, second the copper lines get brittle and could break and there was no guarantee on that.

So I had to pay Got Junk $200 to come haul it out of here. It held 9 rows of bottles across on a shelf, 8 deep. 72 on a shelf, 4 shelves. I used to use the bottom shelf for yeast, hops, mini-kegs and other homebrew storage. Besides beer, we kept soda and mixers in it on the top shelf.

I guess I can’t complain, I got my use out of it and it was great while I had it. Had all my beer labels stuck to the side.

RIP

2B7DB82E-7891-4D1B-997C-93296F69F5EC.jpeg
D58C950E-04B0-4A04-A083-86FDB2A87AAC.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow I’m sorry to hear. I hope the visa warranty works out for you. I just bought a Komos kegerator from more beer about a month ago..

Oh Joy. The Komos Kegerator I so carefully researched before buying last September now appears to be nothing more than a $700 lb paperweight. I keep this thing in my kitchen. I noticed the other day that instead of the 38 deg, I keep it set at, it was showing 55. I noticed that the compressor wasn't kicking in. I turned it off for several hours, and when I turned it on, all I got was a click, and no compressor. After spending two days trying to contact MOREBEER, who I bought it from, I was informed that there was nothing they could do since the warranty expired in September. Reckon I got a lemon. Lucky me. They did inform me that they carry parts, but interestingly enough, no compressor. They weren't even sure if the compressor is serviceable. I asked if I had any recourse at all, but no, I'm **** out of luck. I tried contacting local repair folks, but not surprisingly, none of them wanted to waste their time on a lowly kegerator. Apparently, these are meant to be thrown out and replaced every year if you're not mechanically inclined and can't fix it yourself. I don't know what I'll do next, but I certainly won't be buying another Komos Kegerator from Morebeer.com.

i was gifted a dead kegerator, in my case i just had to jump the compressor and use a inkbird temp controller.....

I feel for you too, went down that same road with a chest freezer I converted. Looked at used models but decided I'd be years ahead buying a new one. It lasted a short time after the warranty expired. Last year I went through the same research for kegerator and pulled the trigger on one from Morebeer. It was backordered for two weeks. After four months of phone calls and emails and no kegerator I decided to get a refund. After reading your painful experience I'm so glad I didn't get it. Not saying the same would happen but that how Morebeer has been zero help for you. Sure it's out of warranty but any help or suggestions would at least look like they care about a product they sold. Everyone here has been real helpful giving you support and suggestions. I'm so sorry for you, thanks for sharing.

Oof I just got my komos V2 delivered a week and a half or so ago. Just finished putting it together and was planning to turn it on for the first time tonight. Now I’m nervous!

I feel for you too, went down that same road with a chest freezer I converted. Looked at used models but decided I'd be years ahead buying a new one. It lasted a short time after the warranty expired. Last year I went through the same research for kegerator and pulled the trigger on one from Morebeer. It was backordered for two weeks. After four months of phone calls and emails and no kegerator I decided to get a refund. After reading your painful experience I'm so glad I didn't get it. Not saying the same would happen but that how Morebeer has been zero help for you. Sure it's out of warranty but any help or suggestions would at least look like they care about a product they sold. Everyone here has been real helpful giving you support and suggestions. I'm so sorry for you, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your kind words. The fact that absolutely no one will work on one has led me to forgo buying another kegerator. Hell, with my luck the same thing would happen again. Looks like it's back to bottling, and a lot less brewing for me. I know how easy some folks say building your own is, but that's just not me. I have skills, but definitely not in that area.

BTW, I had to call MoreBeer on three separate occasions to finally get someone. Their system of call backs is a joke. Also, going on three days with no reply from Komos.

Oof I just got my komos V2 delivered a week and a half or so ago. Just finished putting it together and was planning to turn it on for the first time tonight. Now I’m nervous!

All I can say is, if anything at all sounds or looks out of the normal, return it while you can. Good luck.

Thanks for your kind words. The fact that absolutely no one will work on one has led me to forgo buying another kegerator. Hell, with my luck the same thing would happen again. Looks like it's back to bottling, and a lot less brewing for me. I know how easy some folks say building your own is, but that's just not me. I have skills, but definitely not in that area.

BTW, I had to call MoreBeer on three separate occasions to finally get someone. Their system of call backs is a joke. Also, going on three days with no reply from Komos.
My four month ordeal with them was a joke too. I ordered the V2 with a two tap tower. First the fridge unit was in but no tower kit. They couldn't just send the fridge then the tower later. Their customer service is very sketchy which certainly didn't help the situation. We bought new kitchen appliances so I kept the old fridge and use that for my kegged beer. I'd look at something like that over going back to bottling.

If you end up getting screwed, I would suggest finding a fridge on craigslist sometimes you can get a good fridge or freezer for near nothing. Then break out the drill and build out your own kegerator minding coolant lines of course.

So sorry to hear this it makes me sick hopefully the manufacturer will do the right thing and take care of you.

Just ordered this from Amazon. Looks like a match. Hopefully it'll do the trick. Coming tomorrow. I'll post results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749M91BF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ASP0QZG6GJSSH88HSK97?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ah…now it makes sense.

My first Komos arrived damaged, just some dents which morebeer gave me a credit for. A month later, I finally noticed the compressor clicking on and off ALOT…and, I noticed out of the back, one of the lines coming out of the compressor would freeze over, then it would melt, repeatedly. Which left a puddle every once in awhile so I shoved a piece of sponge in there to absorb the moisture. Then..it start clicking in and off ALOT ALOT, so I contacted morebeer and they sent me a replacement.

None of the behavior I’ve listed above occurs on the new unit outside of the compressor clicking on, then instantly off every once in awhile. Seems that it can’t check temp without it clicking on? Almost as a, let me check, nope I’m good, click off. Let me check, yep I need to stay on for a bit..?

Curious to know if that part works, good knowledge to have just in case.

Just ordered this from Amazon. Looks like a match. Hopefully it'll do the trick. Coming tomorrow. I'll post results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749M91BF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ASP0QZG6GJSSH88HSK97?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The part I showed replaces multiple possible bad parts " Combination relay, capacitator, and overload device".

https://www.amazon.com/Supco-RCO410...CO410+Start+Kit+,+BLACK&qid=1636686506&sr=8-3
I've used these on 2 occasions and they work. The only tough part is figuring out which wire goes where as it bypasses some of the other stuff but the instructions are for newer models instead of 1960's fridges but a little trial by error and bingo got them back up and running.

I bet your unit is made in China, right?

We have owned (and own) kegerators from several manufacturers. Our True unit was purchased new in 1987, and is still keeping beer cold at 36 degrees F. It has required service over the years, but it still works like new.

No residential appliance repair company will look at these. None!

You have to find a commercial appliance repair company. They are out there, you just have to search for them. Ask me how I know!

I hate buying extended warranties...but have found they are money well spent. I get the 5 year option on every appliance that we purchase.

Last edited:
DAMN! Of course the Start Relay didn't fix it. I guess the next step is to try the Supco, but I'm confused as to how to incorporate the kegerator's thermostat into the loop.

You have to find a commercial appliance repair company. They are out there, you just have to search for them. As me how I know!

I hate buying extended warranties...but have found they are money well spent. I get the 5 year option on every appliance that we purchase.

The commercial repair guys wouldn't touch it in my area, and I work at a vineyard that uses kegerators to serve beer! Also, I would have bought the extended warranty if MoreBeer offered one.

Instructions for the Supco. I've also used the ERPU410. The one pictured is my back up. Works the same as the Supco.

Attachments

• 20211112_134534.jpg
    20211112_134534.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20211112_134543.jpg
    20211112_134543.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20211112_134547.jpg
    20211112_134547.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
Typically on the back of a fridge or kegerator there will be a wiring diagram like this one. My problem is my fridges are from the 60's and were rubbed off or semi different terminology back then. A little trial by error and bingo.

Attachments

• 20211112_135306.jpg
    20211112_135306.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Looking at these I would think A is "run" C is "common" and P is "start". Maybe some one in the biz knows for sure. It may have an R, C, S stamped on the compressor where you hook the wires also but does not show it on the schematics. This might help if you have a multimeter.

" First of all gave name to the terminals, for example you gave name to terminals A,B,C. Then set multimeter on Ohm. Put leds of multimeter and test the A and B terminal, then check the A and C terminals and then B and C. You will find high resistance between two terminals. For example you Find 50 resistance between A and B terminals (A-50-B), it's means that these terminals are start and run and the 3rd one is common. So you find out the common terminal and now you want to identify the start and run terminal.
So the resistance between common and start terminal will be higher from the resistance between common and run terminal. E.g if your resistance between C and B is 25 ohm and your resistance between C and A is 15 ohm, it's means that your B terminal is start and your A terminal is Run."

Attachments

• This.png
    This.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image_2021-11-12_155832.png
    image_2021-11-12_155832.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Once you get it up and running there is not really an attachment point for these as they are not original equipment for you kegerator. I just zip tied them up to keep them off the floor.

Looking at these I would think A is "run" C is "common" and P is "start". Maybe some one in the biz knows for sure. It may have an R, C, S stamped on the compressor where you hook the wires also but does not show it on the schematics. This might help if you have a multimeter.

" First of all gave name to the terminals, for example you gave name to terminals A,B,C. Then set multimeter on Ohm. Put leds of multimeter and test the A and B terminal, then check the A and C terminals and then B and C. You will find high resistance between two terminals. For example you Find 50 resistance between A and B terminals (A-50-B), it's means that these terminals are start and run and the 3rd one is common. So you find out the common terminal and now you want to identify the start and run terminal.
So the resistance between common and start terminal will be higher from the resistance between common and run terminal. E.g if your resistance between C and B is 25 ohm and your resistance between C and A is 15 ohm, it's means that your B terminal is start and your A terminal is Run."

Thanks! I have very little electrical knowledge, so this is very helpful.

Back