Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcjmil

Reaction score
I am brewing a Kolsch Kit from Beer-Wine.com. Seemed that the wort, when I pitched the yeast, was darker than I expected. I waited until the end of the boil to add the DME and rice solids. How can I get a lighter color next time?

You did add a little DME before adding hops to ensure proper hop utilization right?

As far as color, the late extract addition you did is the only technique that I know of. But I'm still a fairly new to this.

doing a full wort boil will help not only with color but with hop utilization + you really dont need to worry about a late extract addition

I had a kit from there and it called for 1 gal of water for 90 min boil. (octoberfest ROM) It came out really thick and syrupy. I hope its not ruined, i tried emailing them about it asking if 1gal is legit on the recipe and they never responded. Recently ordered from AHS and the directions were much easier to follow.

My last 2 batches (Kolsch & Wheat) both looked real dark going into the primary, but they both cleared nicely by the time they were at three weeks in the bottle. RDWHAHB!

Three things that I can think of to lighten color:
1. late addition
2. bigger boil
3. use DME and know what kind it is (Briess make a pilser extract that is light as water)

I used 2 lbs of Briess's Extra light pilsner in my Kolsch (the rest was all partial mash for fermentables)

Kolsch turned out great! I did use a late addition mostly for the color aspect.

Back