Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No issues with WLP029 in Va Beach. Just kicked a keg of Kolsch. It's one of my house beers

Warmer months are coming, perhaps that's the issue? Either way, wlp029 is easy to get and I prefer it to 2565. Or...

Ferment your Kölsch with W-34/70 at ale temps, it's fantastic, though will probably taste more like a pale lager than a Kölsch (if fruity esters are what you're looking for).

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

I ferment my Kolsch at about 55 degrees, raise the to 62 for a diacetyl rest, I'm not sure if it's necessary, then I crash it just like a lager. The beer turns out true to Kolsch form. I have put my Kolsch up against professionally brewed US Kolschs and mine is better!

The bock in my sig line was done with WLP029. Where did I get that idea? Brulosophy website.

The bock turned out a golden amber color and was dead-on at finishing gravity after two weeks at 62F.
Clarity? Great, but a definite fruity aroma. Impressed with how it turned out visually, but the next try may be with a bock strain.

I got some a couple of weeks ago from more beer. I tried at Williams but they were out and didn't know why they did not get any from wyeast. By the way, the ones I got are dated 2-20-17

I got some a couple of weeks ago from more beer. I tried at Williams but they were out and didn't know why they did not get any from wyeast. By the way, the ones I got are dated 2-20-17
Hi. I noticed you're in WA, so you might try Imperial's G03 Dieter since it's made in Portland and might be available in your LHBS. It's a Kölsch strain and makes a fantastic Kölsch. Ed
:mug:

Yes, I'm in eastern Washington. Wyeast is actually closer to me than Imperial, but my LHBS does not carry either. Its a real shame as I order most of my liquid yeast online because I prefer wyeast rather than white labs. I'll have to give the Imperial a try for my next kolsch, it may be awhile since I just brewed one today and will again when I harvest in a couple of weeks.

Back