Kolsch temperature setting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockeye

Reaction score
I just bought a Johnson digital temperature controller. I've got it hooked up to a small chest freezer and its working like a charm.
I'm all ready to brew a kolsch which I want to ferment around 60 degrees. Can anyone offer me any advice on what temperature to set the controller to? Do I set it low to allow for temperature rise due to fermentation or should I just set it to 60? Thanks in advance.

I've had great beers with wyeast Kolsch II pitching at 58 and setting at 59 or 60F. I tape the temp probe on the bucket and put packing insulation over the top of it to try and get an honest read on the temp inside the bucket. I've gone with and without diactyl rests and haven't noticed a difference so I don't do them anymore unless I taste taste a problem.

I've enjoyed the Kolsch but I've really enjoyed APA and IPA with the same yeast. The clean pear notes really play up the citrus hops. Mine have also cleared up fast with a good cold crash, in spite of some reviews.

Morebeer.com sells thermowells for $25 or so. gives you the temp in the middle of the beer, instead of taping the probe to the surface. I got one and think it was worth buying.

Back