Kolsch temp at end of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I’m using 029 in the 1st Kolsch I’ve ever made. I fermented In the high 50’s (low, I know, but I HATE esters), and it’s at 1.014 after a week. Will I get any fruity flavors if I bump it up to 72 degrees (room temp)?

as always, thank you for your first hand advice!

No, almost all esters are produced in the first 72 hours of fermentation. I've used that yeast in the mid 60s with no detectable esters. Bumping up the temp in the last day or two likely won't add any esters (I assume fermentation is close to completion with this yeast if you've pitched a healthy amount and started with a typical kolsch OG).

I started at 1.050 and was planning on hitting 1.010...but I really had no idea where it would finish. Some brewers online say 1.008, some say 1.014, so I'm happy with whatever I get! Thanks for the info. It really helps when someone has actual experience with a yeast.

I've always had very high AA with 029 (>80%), but I make a 1L starter for a 3 gallon batch, which makes my pitch rate very high. I always pick the youngest yeast packet at the LBHS too (always less than 3 months old). I don't over pitch on purpose, but I've read that making less than a 1L starter isn't helpful for the yeast. Given the option of under or over pitching, I always over pitch.

You may have a lower AA due to lower pitch rate, fermenting at a low temp, etc.

I'm sure it will taste delicious at 1.014 or 1.010.

I always push up to 24C after 5 days and don't get any undesirable flavours.

I would say though that a Kolsch is meant to be a "delicate" beer that is drunk young. This implies that some level of fermentation character should be present and dissapates with aging/lagering. That would mean a Kolsch yeast should produce these flavours. If you want to avoid this altogther you might want to consider a different yeast strain.

I always push up to 24C after 5 days and don't get any undesirable flavours.

I would say though that a Kolsch is meant to be a "delicate" beer that is drunk young. This implies that some level of fermentation character should be present and dissapates with aging/lagering. That would mean a Kolsch yeast should produce these flavours. If you want to avoid this altogther you might want to consider a different yeast strain.

really? I thought that given the nature of the yeast it would lend itself to lagering.
Has anyone here tried lagering a Kolsch? Any discernible difference?

I definitely notice a difference in my kolsch from lagering. I don't have any firsthand experience of a traditional German kolsch to say which is more authentic. I like both.

IMO Kolsch is best after lagering. I would say my Kolsch is best @ 6 weeks. I keep it on tap nearly always. I’ve never had 029 throw a lot of esters. I ferment it at 62-64 until it starts to slow and let it rise to 68. It is always finished in 5 days. I always got 80-82% out of 029. I use Giga021 now for my Kolsch.

Kolsch should be lagered.

When performed correctly lagering should improve flavor, not degrade it.

Exhibit A outside of Boston makes one of the more well respected Kolschs in the US. It’s a year round beer for them I believe. Tips from the brewer on brewing it can be found in Craft Beer and Brewing. For those wanting to brew Kolsch I’d recommend reading it. Kolsch is a process beer. It’s all about the process.

Back