Kolsch malt? not finding any "Kolsch" recepies that list it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some GY021 from More Beer. One pack was dated November, the other was August.... Which is awesome

Anyways for those of you that use this yeast often any recommendations on pitch rate, pitch temp, ferment temp?
Ramp? etc.

Picked up some GY021 from More Beer. One pack was dated November, the other was August.... Which is awesome

Anyways for those of you that use this yeast often any recommendations on pitch rate, pitch temp, ferment temp?
Ramp? etc.

Excellent yeast. I had a near dead packet from Morebeer recently also. It was 3 months old and it took three starter cycles to bring it back to life. I made 5 lab slants with the starter so i didn't have to pay $16 for it, ever again. I figure if I have to do starters anyway, I might as well save some money at the same time.

For a 5 gallon batch, their 200 billion cells should be plenty if VERY fresh. But I would run at least a 1L 1.040 starter with it just to make sure its lively and ready to chew. Double this if you are doing a 10 gallon batch. Since starters are generally done at room temps, I prefer to let the starter settle for a day or two when finished, then decant and only pitch the bottom. This keeps the starter's esters and phenols away from my wort.

For my kolsch, I pitch below 70 and ferment it in the high 50's which is a tad below their stated range. It rips through the wort wonderfully. No ramping other than the time it takes in the chamber to change temps. After about 7 days, i'll bring it up to between 65 and 70 for a few days. After that, I dump the trub and it gets crashed to the low 30's and sits for 2 to 3 weeks. . Other people do different things and your results may vary. All I know is, its the closest i've gotten to a Riesdorf or Goffel and it's taken 2 best of shows, a 1st and a 2nd in the last year. It's basically 80% german pilsner, 15% Vienna, 5% carafoam, and about 18 IBU's of spalt at 60 minutes. Keep it simple.

FYI, 021 generates quite a bit of sulfur. Don't be alarmed, it does dissipate easily. Once it's in the keg, if any sulfur aroma remains, simply vent the keg a few times a day and it will be gone.

Excellent yeast. I had a near dead packet from Morebeer recently also. It was 3 months old and it took three starter cycles to bring it back to life. I made 5 lab slants with the starter so i didn't have to pay $16 for it, ever again. I figure if I have to do starters anyway, I might as well save some money at the same time.

For a 5 gallon batch, their 200 billion cells should be plenty if VERY fresh. But I would run at least a 1L 1.040 starter with it just to make sure its lively and ready to chew. Double this if you are doing a 10 gallon batch. Since starters are generally done at room temps, I prefer to let the starter settle for a day or two when finished, then decant and only pitch the bottom. This keeps the starter's esters and phenols away from my wort.

For my kolsch, I pitch below 70 and ferment it in the high 50's which is a tad below their stated range. It rips through the wort wonderfully. No ramping other than the time it takes in the chamber to change temps. After about 7 days, i'll bring it up to between 65 and 70 for a few days. After that, I dump the trub and it gets crashed to the low 30's and sits for 2 to 3 weeks. . Other people do different things and your results may vary. All I know is, its the closest i've gotten to a Riesdorf or Goffel and it's taken 2 best of shows, a 1st and a 2nd in the last year. It's basically 80% german pilsner, 15% Vienna, 5% carafoam, and about 18 IBU's of spalt at 60 minutes. Keep it simple.

FYI, 021 generates quite a bit of sulfur. Don't be alarmed, it does dissipate easily. Once it's in the keg, if any sulfur aroma remains, simply vent the keg a few times a day and it will be gone.

Awesome thanks.

Ever spunded a batch with 021?

Clears with a few weeks of lagering? No fining needed?

I don't spund. I do however do CO2 transfers from fermenter to keg. I'm in no way a LODO guy but oxygenated beer I can sense a mile away for some reason.

021 clears very well. Maybe not as quick as 029, but months faster than 2565. If you like, do the gelatin thing a few days after crashing (let any haze form first). Absolutely use whirlfloc and get a good hot break and cold break.

I got in a hurry once because I slacked and almost missed a competition deadline. After 5 days crashing I ran it through a .45 micron filter into the keg. Not sure how much it helped but it was very clear and tasted great.

Last edited:
Here's my latest batch with Giga-021... Reviewing my records, 8 days at 57F. 3 days at 68F. Dumped trub bowl. 14 days at 36F. No fining or filtering. 11 days after kegging. There is some condensation on the glass but it kinda shows how clear it got.

kolsch.jpg

Anyone have any experience with Omega's Kolsch strains? I am brewing my first Kolsch today and went with their OLY44 'Kolsch II' strain but couldn't find much info (beyond Omega's description) online...

Not to be a complete a-hole or point anyone out, but them Koslch biers are way too dark for the style. Clarity is good though.

That's odd, because side by side against a Reisdorf, mine is lighter. Against a Gaffel, it's identical. Both are listed as standards by the BJCP. Also, in the last year, i've gotten 2 best of shows (200+ and 300+ entries), a first, and a second. In looking at my score sheets, every entry under appearance is a 3 out of 3 with only positive comments on color, clarity and head. I would venture a guess that Dog House's kolsch is much lighter looking if he wasn't against a tree with a cloudy sky for lighting. Cell phone pictures are far different than when we are judging with a flashlight or other artificial light source.

Here's the style definition for Category 5B Kolsch:

Appearance: Very pale gold to light gold. Very clear (authentic commercial versions are filtered to a brilliant clarity). Has a delicate white head that may not persist.

That's odd, because side by side against a Reisdorf, mine is lighter. Against a Gaffel, it's identical. Both are listed as standards by the BJCP. Also, in the last year, i've gotten 2 best of shows (200+ and 300+ entries), a first, and a second. In looking at my score sheets, every entry under appearance is a 3 out of 3 with only positive comments on color, clarity and head. I would venture a guess that Dog House's kolsch is much lighter looking if he wasn't against a tree with a cloudy sky for lighting. Cell phone pictures are far different than when we are judging with a flashlight or other artificial light source.

Here's the style definition for Category 5B Kolsch:

Appearance: Very pale gold to light gold. Very clear (authentic commercial versions are filtered to a brilliant clarity). Has a delicate white head that may not persist.

I don't need a definition, I lived 1 hour away from Cologne for the last 12 years. Pictures can be quite deceiving, I personally suck at taking pictures and they come out quite dark. As for Reisdorf and Gaffel they're not even close to being that dark when served fresh at the source. Reisdorf is probably one of my least favorite Kolsch biers, I much prefer Gilden if you want a little wheat, Malzmuhle if you want maltiness, Fruh for it's flowery hoppiness, or Sion for it's perfect dry finish.

Edit: I mistated Gaffel, I changed it to Gilden, it's late at night what can I say.

Where exactly are you getting this, what edition do you have? There's two grain bills 95/5 Pale Malt (Pils)/Carahell and 85/15 Pale Malt (Pils)/Vienna, now later in the book he states there can be up to 20% wheat, which if you've been to Cologne and drank enough of their beers you'd definitely taste some of the breweries are using wheat.

5th edition page 765

07281D77-A7B2-40F9-A3C0-B5704FB61C20.jpeg

Very nice pictures but I tend to disagree with the "proper" color perspective on Reissdorf.
I had a liter of it poured straight from the tap at a local Americanized German-style restaurant and even though the place was dimly lit, I swore it was slightly darker than a common Pils. Was it fresh? Quite probably not, so there's that.
As a matter of fact a limit of 8-9 EBC Morey would lead me to believe "Kolsch" malt can be a proportional mixture of Pilsner and Vienna or light Munich. That would still put the beer into a comfortable color range.

I have used Carahell additions in the past. I’ve found that I like Pils with 12% Pale. I do wish I had a trip around Cologne to see all the differences myself. Pretty cool how they all have subtle differences in the same style. Brewing another 021 batch Sunday, weather permitting.

Anyone have any experience with Omega's Kolsch strains? I am brewing my first Kolsch today and went with their OLY44 'Kolsch II' strain but couldn't find much info (beyond Omega's description) online...

For anyone who may be interested in the Omega strain, I just fermented at 58-60 F for about a week and did a 2 day diacetyl rest at 65 F. Just pulled a gravity reading and it went all the way down to 1.005 from 1.050! Sample tasted great with a light grainy character and fruity/floral finish. So far I would definitely recommend this strain.

For anyone who may be interested in the Omega strain, I just fermented at 58-60 F for about a week and did a 2 day diacetyl rest at 65 F. Just pulled a gravity reading and it went all the way down to 1.005 from 1.050! Sample tasted great with a light grainy character and fruity/floral finish. So far I would definitely recommend this strain.

05 man what an eater!

Reviving this thread. I’m on a mission to brew a spectacular Kolsch... last attempt was as close as I’ve got but still not quite there.

@Paulaner any tips or any insight from someone who’s actually drank them at the source? Any idea of the breweries actually ferment that cold? Two of the well respected Kolschs brewed here in the US, Chuckanut and Exhibit A, both ferment at like 65. Chuckanut has won GABF a ton so I’d imagine it’s a decent representation although I’ve never had it.

Recently bought some Gaffel, Reissdorf, Fruh, and one or two others I can’t remember, to compare to one I recently brewed. A few of the cans were actually less than 3 months old which was shocking but I still feel like nothing I was drinking was anything like it would be fresh in Cologne.

Last one I did was based off the Jack’s Abbey/Springdale Kolsch Money recipe from Craft Beer and Brewing. They make wonderful traditional lager beer so I assumed the recipe was relatively authentic. I think it was roughly:

1.044/1.008
28 IBUs

6.5# Pils
12oz Vienna
12oz Wheat Malt
2.4oz Acidulated

.3oz Perle 60
2.7oz Hersbrucker at 15

I substituted northern brewed at 60 and I think Mittlefruh at 15. I used the East Coast Yeast Kolsch strain which is supposed to be the old Brewtek CL-450 strain which is different than the other commercially available Kolsch strains. I step mashed and fermented at 62 with a ramp to 68 then slowly cooled to 39 and lagered at 30 for a month. Came out great but seemed to have more hop character than the commercial ones I tried but that could be because they were old and abused. I didn’t spund or krausen which I regret. Next one I definitely will.

Water profile was based of the cologne water profile I could find online but I feel like it was too hard. Maybe not if I’d naturally carbed the beer.

Back