Kolsch help/suggestions needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
I will keep this simple and get to the facts:

OG: 1.051
STARTER: 2.7L
YEAST: Wyeast #2565
FERM. TEMP: 57 degrees
GRAVITY @ 5 days: 1.028
GRAVITY @ 12 days: 1.028
*still krausen in carboy

Thank you everyone once again. Thoughts and suggestions needed. Cheers.

How are you measuring the current gravity?
If you're using a refractometer and not adjusting its reading for the presence of alcohol, that could explain those numbers...

Cheers!

How are you measuring the current gravity?
If you're using a refractometer and not adjusting its reading for the presence of alcohol, that could explain those numbers...

Cheers!
Using a hydrometer. It was 1.028 at 64.5 degrees. Adjusted for the 60 degree calibration and it stays right at 1.028.

In that case, that's a sub-optimal fermentation going on. Do you know what the pitch rate was?
Might bump the temperature a couple of degrees, thoroughly rouse the yeast, and see if anything happens.

I'm actually sipping a Kolsch I brewed in May with an OG of 1.049 that finished at 1.008, using 2565 run at 58°F and ~1.5M cells/ml/P° - basically a lager-size pitch. I gave it a full two weeks at 58 then dropped to lagering temperature over four days...

Cheers!

In that case, that's a sub-optimal fermentation going on. Do you know what the pitch rate was?
Might bump the temperature a couple of degrees, thoroughly rouse the yeast, and see if anything happens.

I'm actually sipping a Kolsch I brewed in May with an OG of 1.049 that finished at 1.008, using 2565 run at 58°F and ~1.5M cells/ml/P° - basically a lager-size pitch. I gave it a full two weeks at 58 then dropped to lagering temperature over four days...

Cheers!
I'm not sure what the pitch rate was. Just knew what size starter I used. Rousing the yeast best method is stirring with a spoon? It would be tough to shake it. Bump it up to 60? I have a Pilsner fermenting in their right now too. Will bumping it up mess with that? Thanks for the help.

That yeast is notorious for stalling in the middle of a ferment. I would boost temp a couple degrees, add a TOUCH of nutrient and then "rock the baby"... Just taking the fermenter and rocking it a little to roust the yeast back in suspension. It will finish. I like the yeast myself and use it all the time but it does sometimes stall and need a little assistance to get its ass back to work. Also it's not a floculator so it will take a bit of time to drop once it is done.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird is dead on target. I dont use that yeast strain anymore. Warm it to 60ish. Swish it around and get all the schmutz mixed up. Watch for activity a day or so later.

If that doesn't do it, go buy a pack of WLP029 and pitch it.

My favorite Kolsch yeast is
Giga 021. After that, 029 and I’ve moved from 2565.
Hmmmm Giga 021 you say? I am going to have to try that one! I did really like the 029 from WL when I was a WL distributor and then when I moved my store to Wyeast because of the way WL was treating us smaller stores I had to use the 2565. First time I did, it stalled on me! Doing the research I found out it's a "glam girl" I like to call it. It want's every condition PERFECT (as to not mess up her hair :) ) in playing with her for as many batches as I have I do really like the flavor this yeast provides. All that being said I am going to try the Giga! Thanks for the suggestion! How well does the Giga flocculate?

Cheers
Jay

Wish I could. I'm being paid not to drink this week (on standby). Have an extra one for me.

Make mine a Hofbrau!
Hell, make that two ... icebox chilled for about a half hour then into the fridge to my mug.

Cheers. I like to use WLP029 around 58-65F.
Not like I have much choice, but because my closest brewshop typically stocks White Labs cultures.

021 flocs a lot better than 2565. It flocs more like 029. It has more flavor than 029. It is not temperamental, I really like it. It reminds me of 1450 in the way it needs a generation to get going. Generation 3+ is where I find it to really shine. I usually do a small batch to grow a cake and harvest.

I will keep this simple and get to the facts:

OG: 1.051
STARTER: 2.7L
YEAST: Wyeast #2565
FERM. TEMP: 57 degrees
GRAVITY @ 5 days: 1.028
GRAVITY @ 12 days: 1.028
*still krausen in carboy

Thank you everyone once again. Thoughts and suggestions needed. Cheers.

I know this is an old thread, just thought I'd share my current situation with 2565 which is almost identical to the OP's, except I'm fermenting under pressure (20 psi). It chugged down from 1.052 to 1.024 in three days, it's been stuck at 1.024 for two days now.

I bumped the temp up from 56F to 60F yesterday, we'll see what happens..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-072142_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20220512-072142_Brewfather.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 0
Yep. I'd bump it up to 65 F. Then be patient. It will likely continue fermenting slooooowly for a few more weeks.
Alrighty, temp bumped up to 65. Airlock activity has never stopped, just surprised to see the SG hasn't changed in a few days. I can see the hydrometer sample I pulled last night still fermenting as well.

I’ve used to use 2565 all the time. You get it too cold and it will stall out. It was slow no matter what I would do. I would always set it at 62 and let it rise to 68 after 4-5 days. I got tired of waiting for it to clear. I do really like the flavor of 2565 though. I moved to Giga021 and haven’t switched in years.

I've used Kölsch strains from Wyeast, White Labs, and Imperial. G03 from Imperial is my absolute favorite of the group.

Finishes in a week under pressure at 12.5c. Clears reasonably well, and leaves a balanced ester profile that doesn't scream "fruit salad" like most Kölsch strains.

Hydrometer and corrected refractometer readings show that it finished at 1.008, so significantly lower than the tilt reading. The tilt is showing 1.011 after cold crashing..

Back