Kolsch fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

listentodave

Reaction score
New here. Brewing my 2nd batch, first one was a hit suprisingly!

Did an extract kit kolsch with an OG of 1.058 (target was 1.061) and current gravity of 1.013 (target 1.015). Fermenting with whitelabs wlp029 @ 61 deg F for 1 week since i pitched last sunday (pitched at 72 deg F and let it cool in my basement overnight to 61).

Just wondering, since I hit target FG already, should I rack to secondary now or just wait until the 2 week mark like I was planning to originally?

I'm still getting bubbles on my blow off about every 10 seconds but the krausen has receded for 3 days now.

The rest of the game plan is to secondary in the basement for 2 weeks. Chill it with icepacks for as long as I can keep up with it, and then rack to the keg and cold condition at 40 deg for another 2 weeks.

What do you think?

Measure gravity with a hydrometer for 3 days. If it doesn't change you are ready to rack to secondary if that is what you are going to do. However, if you have the time and you are still seeing those bubbles, just let it sit another week. It will only improve. Why do you wat to go to secondary? Just leave it in primary for the 3 weeks and rack it to the keg.

I made a Kolsch with the same yeast last Sunday too. The yeast doesn't know that it is supposed to be at FG. It may go lower.
I agree with Mappler, just leave it in primary for 3 weeks then cold crash it.
Do some reading on the forums here and you'll see alot of people are moving away from secondarys for most beers.

And FWIW, I made a Kolsch a few months ago then lagered it in the mud room for 5 weeks. Turned out great but still a touch cloudy b/c of the stubborn Kolsch yeast. Then I made an experimental lawnmower beer with the same Kolsch yeast. Instead if lagering it, I added some gelatin. I tried each of them over the weekend and the gelatin'ed beer is far, far clearer than the lagered one. Weird.

Latest posts

Back