Kit Recipe, Or Go Off Road

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StateRoad84

Reaction score
Tomorrow my shipment from NB will be here. This will be my very first brew ever. I have been doing a lot of reading and am wondering about the ingredient kit instructions. What I have read says to steep specialty grains for 30 minutes and do boils for 60 to 90 minutes. Now the instructions say to steep for 10 minutes while the water is heating and boil for 45 minutes. My concern would be that the steep would not be long enough to get full advantage from the specialty grains.:confused:

New as well, but I'm pretty sure the benefit of the specialty grains is largely color related? I don't think you'll get much out of them that won't be completely overwhelmed by the extract that's going to follow.

It probably won't hurt to "practice" a 30 minute at mash temp, but I'd be shocked if it added much overall impact on the sugars of the recipe.

Which kit? I just did the Dead Ringer and have it wrapping up fermentation from what I can tell...

Good luck!

Sorry, should have said that my kit is a 1 gallon kit. There really shouldn't be a difference between the 5 and 1 gallon times, should there?

Sorry, should have said that my kit is a 1 gallon kit. There really shouldn't be a difference between the 5 and 1 gallon times, should there?

yes and no, it sounds like they are trying to get the kit simple because of the size of the kit means it is not a "big time brewer". Problem is we all start somewhere.

I would steep them 20 minutes, at a 150 degree rest.I do that for a 5 gallon extract brew and get all the goodness from the grains. Now about the boil. the percent of utilization from the hops depends on the length of boil. It is an IPA, boil it a hour.

New as well, but I'm pretty sure the benefit of the specialty grains is largely color related? I don't think you'll get much out of them that won't be completely overwhelmed by the extract that's going to follow.

It probably won't hurt to "practice" a 30 minute at mash temp, but I'd be shocked if it added much overall impact on the sugars of the recipe.

Which kit? I just did the Dead Ringer and have it wrapping up fermentation from what I can tell...

Good luck!

Nope. Less color. More flavor. Overall steeping grains are to add flavor that isn't there with extract alone. Either to complement the extract or provide a fresher flavor. They can also add color and body, but most of the time they are used for flavor.

When I do extract brews, I prefer to control the temp in the low 150's to prevent tannin release. I get easily distracted, so if I walk away for a few minutes while the specialty grains are steeping, it would most likely roll right past 170 and into the boil...haha.

It obviously takes more energy to maintain it in the 150's versus putting it in and letting it steep until the temp gets up there, but I'd rather spend some extra cents in propane or electricity versus getting off-flavors.

When I do extract brews, I prefer to control the temp in the low 150's to prevent tannin release. I get easily distracted, so if I walk away for a few minutes while the specialty grains are steeping, it would most likely roll right past 170 and into the boil...haha.

It obviously takes more energy to maintain it in the 150's versus putting it in and letting it steep until the temp gets up there, but I'd rather spend some extra cents in propane or electricity versus getting off-flavors.

You probably are worrying about nothing as unless the pH of the wort is over 6.0, you won't extract tannins. However, learning to control the temperature in that range is still good practice as if you ever start brewing all grain (very easy via BIAB) the conversion of starch to sugars in the malted grains happens in that temperature range.

They are steeping grains, don't get too caught up in the details. I think when I was starting out with 1 gallon extract brews, I would sometimes steep for 30 min. You are not doing a mash, time and temp are not that critical.

Back