Kit Lab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that earlier today. I wonder if @Yooper knows they're using her recipe in their kickstarter video.

It's an interesting concept, but recipes these days can be very similar, even one that came straight from my head could quite possibly be a near-match to someone else's.

As for using @yooper 's recipe, I don't know if they're selling it, per se, but it's funny they had this written on their campaign:

Plagiarism - The recipes will be screened through the same sort of tools that college professors screen term papers through. It's actually really easy to spot direct rip-offs in an automated fashion, so that will keep the plagiarism down for sure. As far as small tweaks and changes? That's a bit of a gray area, but our feelings are if you've taken a recipe and put your own spin on it, you've added something original to it and its ok to call it yours. We also believe that the home brewing community is proud of their original creations and they kind of self police when someone does try to say "Hey look at this new IPA I made. It's call Bliny the Belder." That's usually shamed out of existence pretty quickly :)

I think it is an interesting idea and will most definitely garner attention due to the fact that people will be able to make a few bucks on their own recipes...but I see one major flaw.

What if I go to Kit Lab's site, see a recipe I like and would like to try out, and go to my LHBS to purchase the ingredients? Obviously the person that posted the recipe isn't getting paid by my LHBS.

On the same note, what if instead of going to my LHBS I purchase the ingredients from Northern Brewer, More Beer, etc. because their shipping is cheaper than $15? Again, the recipe creator is not getting what they expect.

Not that I think any of us are really out there just to make a buck (I surely don't think I am retiring based off of my recipes) but I think this is an aspect that will hinder this effort.

Just my $0.02 though...

^ I suspect you don't get to see the recipes. I think Austin Homebrew sells their kits but doesn't release the ingredient list at all. Morebeer, on the other hand, does.
I could be wrong, but I would think they would hide the full recipe before purchase.

^ I suspect you don't get to see the recipes. I think Austin Homebrew sells their kits but doesn't release the ingredient list at all. Morebeer, on the other hand, does.
I could be wrong, but I would think they would hide the full recipe before purchase.

See I was thinking the same thing "surely, they can't show the recipes, right?"

When I brewed kits, I was okay trusting a place like Austin that they weren't sending me a crap beer. Surely the kit had been tested, vetted, etc. and I was getting something drinkable. I was willing to spend that money and trust that the company had done their homework.

Not sure I would feel the same way ordering a recipe built by Joe Homebrewer without seeing for myself what the recipe was like. But hey, maybe they do something similar to Austin by listing the grains and hops used, but not the amount.

Again, I like the idea...just think there are going to be some hindrances.

I really don't understand why anyone would purchase an expensive kit for that. Every brew site has plenty of basic kits, popular clone kits etc. Then once you're advancing into recipe creation you never buy a kit again usually.

It's a very dumb premise in my opinion. Acting like these recipes are some grand IP. Meh.

I think it is an interesting idea and will most definitely garner attention due to the fact that people will be able to make a few bucks on their own recipes...but I see one major flaw.

What if I go to Kit Lab's site, see a recipe I like and would like to try out, and go to my LHBS to purchase the ingredients? Obviously the person that posted the recipe isn't getting paid by my LHBS.

On the same note, what if instead of going to my LHBS I purchase the ingredients from Northern Brewer, More Beer, etc. because their shipping is cheaper than $15? Again, the recipe creator is not getting what they expect.

Not that I think any of us are really out there just to make a buck (I surely don't think I am retiring based off of my recipes) but I think this is an aspect that will hinder this effort.

Just my $0.02 though...

So what is to stop anyone from pulling down a recipe from the drop down under a members name and buying all the suppplies from anywhere they want? Nothinh, but at Kit Lab you cold just click and have it all shipped with less fussing, and some lucky homebrewer will get a buck or two....PLUS the ego boost of knowing someone is brewing THEIR beer.

I have no dog in the race other than I have pledged to provide some of my beers, but It was to helpout a guy that is trying to offer a service to the homebrew word that I feel does not detract from it, not to strike it rich...lol

YMMV of course, and your thoughts may differ.

T

I don't think the IP is being hailed as the real value here, I think it's the convenience of being able to click "Buy Now" and get the exact amounts without having to go anywhere or worry about lots of leftover grains. *shrug*

I wonder if this is gonna be the end of the recipe database due to people not wanting others to have their recipe for free. It's a nice idea but I would prefer to buy ingredients local so to support my LHBS.

Kit lab could be a bad thing for the sharing and collaborative nature of home brewing communities.

Kit lab could be a bad thing for the sharing and collaborative nature of home brewing communities.

Why?

Anyone can post and share recipes. Anyone can brew those recipes.

How is this any different from that?

So what if someone makes $1 for each sale. Good for them. If their recipe is so awesome they deserve it.

But they can't patent it and they can't complain if someone buys a recipe kit and then posts the recipe online. It's a recipe.

There is a reason Coke and KFC have SECRET recipes. It's because if the recipe is ever known, there is nothing they can do to stop anyone from using that recipe to recreate the item.

It's the convenience that is being sold here.

Well I guess it will have to do with how Kit Lab publishes a recipe. If someone has a recipe that they would have posted to HBT or similar, but decided to only put it on Kit Lab in the hopes of making a few bucks, then the sharing and collaboration that would have (and does) occurred on HBT after the recipe was posted, will be lost.

Take a look at the Yooper recipe Kit Lab uses in their promo for example. Its hundreds of posts of people stating what they did differently, asking advise, changing something and reporting their findings. Will all of this public sharing of knowledge still occur if the recipe is controlled by Kit Lab?

At this point we don't really know how Kit Lab will run it's business. But these are things to be worried of IMO.

I think it's just a thing of convenience. You can get someone's recipe from here, then you need to write it all down, buy everything separately, etc, etc. As opposed to just buy everything with just one click. I don't see Kit Lab as a danger for this forum at all. They are two different things. This is a forum for the home brewers, Kit Lab will be an online store.

What makes you think that someone with a hit recipe wont choose to avoid posting it publicly on HBT or elsewhere, and instead only use Kit Lab in hopes of making a few bucks?

I really hope my fears end up being unfounded. But we just don't know yet how it will play out.

As a matter of fact, they should start a partnership, HBT and Kit Lab, you could check out a recipe on HBT and click on "Buy it on Kit Lab", right next to the recipe. This way they both would be more successful and Kit Lab would have access to this huge community of home brewers.

As a matter of fact, they should start a partnership, HBT and Kit Lab, you could check out a recipe on HBT and click on "Buy it on Kit Lab", right next to the recipe. This way they both would be more successful and Kit Lab would have access to this huge community of home brewers.

Yes! This would be awesome. Then it really would just be a convenience thing. If anyone could just put a button in their post here, or HBA, Reddit, wherever they post. "Buy it on Kit Lab". I could support that.

I kind of doubt this is how it will work though.

Yes! This would be awesome. Then it really would just be a convenience thing. If anyone could just put a button in their post here, or HBA, Reddit, wherever they post. "Buy it on Kit Lab". I could support that.

I kind of doubt this is how it will work though.

Seems like a dicey move for HBT to partner like that with a startup. I think they would more likely offer that type of partnership to an established forum sponsor, don't you?

Let's say that really happened (HBT partnering with Kickstarter), and HBT decided to close down the recipe forums because it could impact the recipe kit sales at kick starter. What then? Honestly, I hope that never happens.

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but one of the things I like about this sight is the plethora of recipes listed that other members are willing to openly share. I don't want any part of that taken away because someone decided to use this as a form of income.

First off yes I have purchased items of all sorts of the interwebs. And with that being said I don't know about everyone else but I am all about the local small business. Granted the closest LHBS is about an hour away but if there was one local I would rather shop there for ingredients. I would have instantly and support the local economy. Yes LHBS sometimes do charge more but often still total less than shipping. Plus as I already said its instant.

As to those who say "would have to write down the recipe and go to the LHBS and buy everything" WTF?! Have we become so lazy that we can't go to the store to buy stuff? I understand if you live middle of no where, but seriously? At the three different LHBS I have been to I have talked to the people working there, often the owner, and have learned a lot in my brief brewing hobby.

Anywho I have ranted enough and I know there are a lot who are not feeling the way I do and that is their right. Just wanted to give my 2cents worth.

The recipe posting and sharing won't go away. Here's why I think this is the case. In order for people to buy your "kit" in any volume there needs to be a compelling reason to do so. That either comes from winning so many medals with it or from posting it and having x many people say that they brewed it and it was fantastic. With te number of available kits you'll have to have the recognition before you post your recipe

As others have mentioned the convenience factor is nice. Another thing people may not consider is the "give-back" portion - someone may not want to, or not even think about, donating a random some of money to Marshall over at brulosophy, but buying his Tiny Bottom Pale Ale from Kitlab? Sure! It could help some of the bloggers we enjoy get back a little for all the info they are putting out there. I am by my very nature extremely frugal and I know there are a lot of other brewers with the same mindset - we buy in bulk for everything, reuse yeast, plan ahead etc... but for every one of us out there, there are many more spend thrifts or people whose time is just too valuable. Just my $.02 (which is a lot given my frugality haha :mug:)

Back