Kit for Tiny Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking today that it would be helpful to be able to make tiny batches of beer, like one gallon, for the purpose of creating recipes. I looked at the web, and it appears I'm not alone. Has anyone come up with a kit or recommended set of tools for this purpose?

The machine I just bought will not do it, if web sources are to be believed.

Do you have a ~5 gallon pot already?

For one gallon it just makes sense to BIAB, so you need that pot and a bag. Done! I’d recommend the *plastic* little Big Mouth Bubbler, with spigot.

If you don’t have the pot, it’s a useful size to have around the kitchen for party-size batches of chili (or soup), and soups-vide.

A 2 gal food grade bucket ($5) + lid ($3) + spigot ($4) is roughly 1/2 the cost of a siphonless plastic little BMB. The extra 1/2 gal in the pail makes it easy-peasy to brew a 12-pack.

"1 gal brewers unite": skip forward to the year 2019.

Equipment lists: Speed Brewing talks about brewing 2 gal batches and packaging using 1.75 gal kegs. It has a really good equipment list.

Last edited:
There a are a number of times I just looked up a kit’s recipe sheet, scaled it down and then picked up the smaller quantities at my LHBS.

I went from 1 gal to 2.5 so if I really want a kit or if I receive one as a gift I just split it. I will sometimes still use the recipe sheet to scale down and go to my LHBS but there are so many good recipes online now.

There a are a number of times I just looked up a kit’s recipe sheet, scaled it down and then picked up the smaller quantities at my LHBS.

I went from 1 gal to 2.5 so if I really want a kit or if I receive one as a gift I just split it. I will sometimes still use the recipe sheet to scale down and go to my LHBS but there are so many good recipes online now.

measuring equipment that I use for 1 gal & 2.5 gal batches:
  • jewelry scale (20g x 0.001g)
  • tiny measuring spoons (set of 5: drop, smidgen, pinch, ...)
  • mini-cupcake liners
  • refractometer
I have a pair of jewelry scales (one in the brew day box, one in the bottling day box). Occasionally, I'll calibrate the scales side-by-side using a mini-cupcake liner and some U.S. coins.

I currently bottle condition and dose individual bottles. I use the tiny measuring spoons for measuring sugar (in combination with the scale), bottling yeast (big beers), and ascorbic acid (experimental)

I use the mini-cupcake lines for measuring brewing salts and bottling. I bought a bunch of them on steep discount in 2018 - believe it or not, they were seasonal items (holiday printing).

I use my refractometer hot side. For FG, I have a finishing hydrometer and try to adjust the batch size to account for a couple of hydrometer measurements.

measuring equipment that I use for 1 gal & 2.5 gal batches:
  • jewelry scale (20g x 0.001g)
  • tiny measuring spoons (set of 5: drop, smidgen, pinch, ...)
  • mini-cupcake liners
  • refractometer
It's like a Barbie brewery. Goes well with the Barbie-size food they're selling in supermarkets now. I can put a family-size box of Raisin Bran in my shirt pocket.

great responses. I believe the tamale pot was the kettle of preference for one gallon BIAB back when I started. (I still have that pot somewhere). Comes with a false bottom. A blanket over the pot for mashing. And gallon glass jug for fermentation. Too were the kitchen slotted spoon and a refractometer since there would be nothing to bottle using a hydrometer.

I've gradually dropped my normal batch size down to 6.5L (just enough to fill a 2-gallon bucket with reasonable ullage).

I've found that really small batches just don't have enough thermal mass to hold temp as well as a 5+ gallon batch — even with a towel or blanket.

Some ovens have a Keep Warm setting that can help you hold mash temp (warm it up and then turn it off before putting the kettle in) — you get a lot less temp drop when your ambient temp is like 150F.

Or you can use a 2- or 3-gallon Igloo cooler. Just be sure to account for heat loss into the cooler when figuring your strike water temp (brewing software can do this for you).

I'll second the need for a scale capable of doing at least 0.01 g. You can get inexpensive 0-100g scales on the internet.

And if you have a second larger scale, it's easier to precisely measure water by mass than volume (1kg = 1l at normal room temperature).

For really small batches, mason jars and Masontops Waterless Airlock Fermentation Lids (https://a.co/d/8Y3PXM4) work really well.

My 2¢.

a refractometer since there would be nothing to bottle using a hydrometer.
Hydrometer samples take around 3.5 oz. Two samples are roughly 1 bottle of beer.

If hydrometer samples prevent you from getting the desired number of bottles from a batch, maybe brew a larger batch size. 🤔

Last edited:
I've found that really small batches just don't have enough thermal mass to hold temp as well as a 5+ gallon batch — even with a towel or blanket.
With batches in the 1.5 gal size (aka 12 pack), there is a noticeable improvement (less effort, more stability). At about 2.5 gal, I found that the 'problem' pretty much goes away.

I have just started 1 gallon brewing all-grain on stovetop , I use a 2 gallon igloo lined with a bag for mashing(mash in a bag ?). I found with my first batch that my kitchen scale was not sensitive enough for measuring out yeast . It worked for the hops just not when trying to divide the satchet of yeast so for my next batch I'm going to try to use one of my ammunition reloading powder scales. my first batch made 7 bottles of beer.

I have just started 1 gallon brewing all-grain on stovetop , I use a 2 gallon igloo lined with a bag for mashing(mash in a bag ?). I found with my first batch that my kitchen scale was not sensitive enough for measuring out yeast . It worked for the hops just not when trying to divide the satchet of yeast so for my next batch I'm going to try to use one of my ammunition reloading powder scales. my first batch made 7 bottles of beer.
you can use measuring spoons to divide a yeast packet. for reference I looked at a packet of baker's yeast. net wt is 7 gm and is marked to contain 2 1/4 tsp. a brewers yeast packet is normally 11 gm. doing the arithmetic, 1/5 of a packet of brewers yeast (assuming a full packet for a 5-gal batch) is just a shade less than 3/4 tsp.

I wonder if you could fit the tiny mash tun into something like a water bath canning pot along with a sous vide heater to maintain the temperature. I think I'll try this for my next 1 gallon batch, because I agree that it's hard to maintain a stable mash temp.

I wonder if you could fit the tiny mash tun into something like a water bath canning pot along with a sous vide heater to maintain the temperature. I think I'll try this for my next 1 gallon batch, because I agree that it's hard to maintain a stable mash temp.

There's a Fb group dedicated to brewing with sous vide equipment: Sous Vide Beer Brewing | Facebook

My batches are about 7 litre, lets say between 1.5 and 2 gallon.
For mashing, I heat water on the stovetop. Put in the bag with grains. Stir. Put lid on pot and move pot with grains inside an igloo cooler lined with a duvet. I hardly loose any heat during the mash

Hydrometer samples take around 3.5 oz. Two samples are roughly 1 bottle of beer.

If hydrometer samples prevent you from getting the desired number of bottles from a batch, maybe brew a larger batch size. 🤔

I am not sure how "brew a larger batch size" is useful for brewing one gallon batches.

you can use measuring spoons to divide a yeast packet. for reference I looked at a packet of baker's yeast. net wt is 7 gm and is marked to contain 2 1/4 tsp. a brewers yeast packet is normally 11 gm. doing the arithmetic, 1/5 of a packet of brewers yeast (assuming a full packet for a 5-gal batch) is just a shade less than 3/4 tsp.
Thank you , my reloading scale measures accurately but in grains ...I figured 34 grains is 1/5 of satchet .
I will measure 3/4 teaspoon of yeast and report back.
Not sure when though I'm at my hunting camp and my ol lady will have a honeydoo list a mile long for me when I return home...pretty sure "brew beer" is not on her list.🤪

I am not sure how "brew a larger batch size" is useful for brewing one gallon batches.
OP asked about tiny batches. ;)

eta: to the point: one can brew any batch size, using a hydrometer for FG measurements and get the desired number of bottles. It takes about 8 oz of beer for two measurements. And 8 oz is also a tiny amount.

Last edited:
My batches are about 7 litre, lets say between 1.5 and 2 gallon.
For mashing, I heat water on the stovetop. Put in the bag with grains. Stir. Put lid on pot and move pot with grains inside an igloo cooler lined with a duvet. I hardly loose any heat during the mash

We may have reached consensus! :rock: Stable mash temperatures are easier in the 1.5 gal range.

1.75 gal kegs, stable mash temps at about 1.5 gal. Maybe there's a reason why Speed Brews mashes 2 gal batches. 🤔

@Clint Yeastwood : if you (and Barbie ;)) need to brew 1 gal batches in a 1 gal carboy, the '1 gal brewers unite' topic good ideas from people who actually brewed using that equipment.

Around 2019, forum wisdom discovered (an embraced) the little BMB and 2 gal pails. And forum wisdom "never looked back".

Last edited:
You'll need proper drinkware for your tiny beer, too.

Attachments

• dollhouse_miniature_filled_beer_mugs_2.jpg
    dollhouse_miniature_filled_beer_mugs_2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
I used to have one of the Mr. Beer fermenters, a four gallon pot and a paint strainer for small batches. That's as big as I have done BIAB. That was many years ago. I want more out of my time spent brewing now. Free time is hard to come by.

I use weigh boats for brewing salts and hops.
When I run out of mini-cupcake liners, these will be an excellent alternative.

Free time is hard to come by.
For many, bottles per hour brewed is a reasonable way to measure the result of the brew day process.

OP was looking for ideas for equipment for "tiny" batches when creating recipes.

You can ferment in any sort of container you can put a lid or stopper in and make a hole for a blow off tube or airlock. I've even wondered about using bladders from something like a camel back or those hot fill bags they make for no-chill brewing.

One gallon jug won't quite have enough headspace for one gallon of beer. 8 to 9 12 fl. oz. bottles was my average. 5 liters size container works better if you have to have at least one gallon of beer. Then you can count on at least 10 bottles.

Hop amounts can be trouble to weigh such small amounts. So get a scale that reads to the 100th of a gram (0.01) and then it'll probably do well for tenths of a gram (0.1). I got one off of Amazon for about 15 bucks.

And a kitchen scale that weighs in grams or pounds works for malts and water.

As another suggested earlier, BIAB works really well with small all-grain recipes. And most anything can be the bag. Even a small hop sock.

Hydrometer readings during the ferment period are really just for ones own comfort. IMHO! If you are patient and wait for the beer to clear, then it'll be long past the time it reached FG. And if you wish to know you can take one at bottling time if you remember to do it before you add priming sugar.

That being said, I do use a RaptPill now. However I did make many a batch of beer and never checked SG but twice. Once for OG and then FG at bottling time. A Tilt or i-spindle is pretty much the same. Or a refractometer will let you use just a drop.

You can ferment in any sort of container you can put a lid or stopper in and make a hole for a blow off tube or airlock ... One gallon jug won't quite have enough headspace for one gallon of beer....

But you can buy a gallon jug of apple juice, drink one glass, and then make cider out of the remainder directly in the jug. It's slightly less than a gallon, but it's very convenient.

Some ovens have a Keep Warm setting that can help you hold mash temp (warm it up and then turn it off before putting the kettle in) — you get a lot less temp drop when your ambient temp is like 150F.
My oven has a minimum temperature setting of 170 F. I find that a 20 quart pot is a good mash kettle for smaller batches and a 5 gallon paint strainer for BIAB. With the pot covered and in the oven on that low setting there is very little mash temperature fluctuation over an hour.

Good idea! It should keep it close enough.

Similarly, back in my partial mash days, putting the mash pot (or pots) with lid inside a pre-warmed but turned-off oven worked very well.
I'd check the temp after 15-20' and if needed give it a little boost on the stove, then back into the oven.

Now you may need to tweak the oven temp setting a bit, those oven thermostats aren't all that precise I noticed, and many don't go lower than 175F. :tank:

It's not impossible to make tiny batches but just be aware that it's more difficult. You have to be extremely precise in your measurements if you want to have any hope of successfully scaling up to larger sizes. Weigh your hop additions with a scale accurate to .1 gram at most.

Latest posts

Back