killed yeast in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddw15

Reaction score
poured straight hot water in my primary n pretty sure killed yeast. after a wk its finally perking. still good? thinkin i might go to local homebrew shop n ask to buy a dash of yeast n slap er in n wait another wk. wat ya think. newbie kegger

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Huh? You sound like me posting on my cell phone. :D

What do you mean you poured straight hot water in the primary? Explain your method a little more clearly please.

^ and what temp is hot? And what was the mixtures temp after you added it? Did you pitch yeast and then add the hot water?

- ISM NRP

added hot water then put yeast in. im on my phone hate typing on it.
so yea i boiled mix n sugar n all that. dumped in primary filled with hot water out of pure laziness i shouldvt flipped hose over to my cold tap. but i didnt. i have primarys in a heated room. room temp ish.

pretty new to brewing. dont under stand volumes n pitching n what temp everything should be yet. my first keg turned out pretty tasty just wingin it though.

If you're saying you added a hot priming sugar solution to a fermented beer, you'll be fine. If you're saying you added basically boiling wort to your yeast, then yeah... you killed your yeast.

Yes, repitching yeast would be a fine idea. After a week if it's just now picking up, there's no guarantee that it is even the yeast that you put in that is fermenting. It could be wild yeast.

wort? yea i killed it then. think it would be ok if i just added new yeast or just dump it.

well, if it's fermenting and you killed the brewing yeast then either some yeast survived or another strain found it's way in and is fermenting your beer. Wait it out and give it a taste after your primary is done. If it tastes like feet, dump it. If it's something you'd drink, go ahead and bottle it.

another question
when you bottle your beer you obviously shouldnt syphon right from the bottom of the carboy right? i did this. looking at my bottles theyre pretty damn cloudy. might have a yeast broth in my first bottle. wel see

Todd, what most people do is siphon from the fermenter to a bottling bucket. That way you can be careful not siphon the trub off the bottom. Plus if you are bottling you add priming sugar to the bottling bucket to mix the beer with some sugar. The sugar will be eaten by the yeast in the bottle and carbonate the beer.

If going straight to a keg. I never rack to a bottling bucket. Straight from fermenter (after a cold crash) to keg. I leave out the trub on the bottom.

ok il have to get a bottling bucket then. much to learn. thnks

ok il have to get a bottling bucket then. much to learn. thnks

In this hobby. There is always something to learn. You will find homebrewers with 20+ years experience still telling you they learned something new.

That link I posted, the John Palmer one, that's his first edition, there are three. The other two you have two pay for I think. He changed maybe one thing about the first book to last but the change he made was very significant because he learned somthing new. Read the book. (and hint hint.. when he talks about the need to Secondary.. ignore it. He decided it wasn't usually necessary for most beers).

noticed i can buy a tap for my carboy. would this eliminate the need to rack into a bottling bucket?

nevermind. eliminates the gross stuff. seen on youtube buddy put sugar in bottling bucket first? how much sugar do u put in? speeds carbing up a bit im guessing

nevermind. eliminates the gross stuff. seen on youtube buddy put sugar in bottling bucket first? how much sugar do u put in? speeds carbing up a bit im guessing

If you are bottling, then corn sugar is added to give the yeast something to eat in the bottle to produce CO2 and carbonate the beer. Use .8oz (weight not volume) per gallon of beer. Boil the sugar with some water (about 2 cups for a 5 gallon batch with the 4 oz of corn sugar. Cool. Pour into bottling bucket. Siphon the beer into the bottling bucket, stir well, then bottle.

Todd, you REALLLY need to just slow down and do some reading before you make any more beer. Otherwise you are wasting your money. The types of questions you are asking show that you really rushed into this. Just slow down and do some reading both on here, as well as pick up a copy of How to Brew by Palmer at the library.

You are doing yourself a disservice by not preparing and knowing what you are going to do before you do it. No offense, but asking 100 questions here as you go is way more risky to your beer than asking them after youve done some research and BEFORE you start the brewing process. That being said, once you do a bit of reading, we can easily help support you.

believe me you guys are helping. i know a few people who skip many of these steps.
most people i know just go from carboy straight to bottles. il try the bottling bucket and what you said. i dont mind wasting my money on brewing gross beer for now. il read up to of course

Back