Kilimanjaro Premium Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTerror

Reaction score
I have a neighbor from Tanzania and he gave me a bottle of Kilimanjaro Premium Lager and asked me if I could make something like it. Anyone have any idea on where to start with that or a recipe for it?

It says its 4.5% v/v on the bottle. The ingredients say: Water, Malt, Cornstarch, Hops, CO2 and Yeast.

Cornstarch seems to be an interesting ingredient for sure.

This is off the ABInbev Website on it
Kilimanjaro Premium Lager
Made to Flow

Kilimanjaro Premium Lager exists to celebrate the Tanzanian way of life and is the country's leading mixed-gender beer brand, known for its crisp, refreshing, easy-drinking taste. Made from ingredients grown on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro, and with water as pure as the mountain's ice-capped peak, today more than ever Kilimanjaro is the social, progressive beer that - like the people of Tanzania - is made to flow.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN
Tanzania

BEER STYLE
Pilsner and Pils

SUGGESTED GLASSWARE
Willibecher

FOOD PAIRING
Traditional Tanzanian Cuisine such "Nyama Choma" (Barbeque)

TASTING NOTES
The moderate bitterness, balanced by both malt and maize, reflects its true Tanzanian origins. Light in colour, it is a refreshing and light drinking beer.

INGREDIENT HIGHLIGHTS
CTZ Hop, Herkules Hop, 50% Malt, 10& Barley, 30% Maize

Thanks!

The two ingredient lists seem to contradict each other a bit.

I'd guess that "cornstarch" like you buy in the store isn't really used.

Try a base malt, flaked corn and (I'd guess) some flaked barley by the looks of the description.

Really sounds a lot like any other adjunct lager. Can you source the hops?

The two ingredient lists seem to contradict each other a bit.

I'd guess that "cornstarch" like you buy in the store isn't really used.

Try a base malt, flaked corn and (I'd guess) some flaked barley by the looks of the description.

Really sounds a lot like any other adjunct lager. Can you source the hops?

Well, honestly, youd be surprised. Likely it is just a form of corn but even so I am a bit surprised that is being used as an adjunct in africa, usually its sorghum. Must be sourcing the corn from South Africa.

Regardless, they are giving a surprising amount of information for an african beer producer . . . you wont get that level of info on a windhoek

the country's leading mixed-gender beer brand...the social, progressive beer

So progressive that they actually let women drink it!

They will be using domestic maize - it's the main crop in Tanzania and home-made maize beer is the normal drink. That's why there's such a high percentage in commercial beers there. Africa is a big place, not everywhere has the same climate...

Don't forget that mainland Tanzania was originallly colonised by the Germans and then passed to the British after WWI. So in beer terms that's not a bad place to start ;-/. But then it's had the usual dumbing down by multinationals.

So I'd start with a German helles recipe and then bastardise it with 30% maize and the above-mentioned hops. But use a German yeast like 34/70, maybe don't be too aggressive on fermenting at lager temperatures, and only lager for a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back