Kettle Sour Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oyarsa

Reaction score
Started my first kettle sour on Monday. The top of the brew still looks clean and clear with no sign of action on behalf of the L.Plantarum. Is there any way to know if it is working other than testing the pH/taste testing?

Interesting description. I'm not sure my sniffer is that sophisticated. I just lifted the lid and sniffed. Smells pretty much like I would expect unhopped wort. I don't think I've done anything wrong. Only less than ideal issues are that it is at room temperature (about 72 Fahrenheit) and I didn't specifically aerate the wort.

I may just have to try a sample. I was trying to avoid unnecessary exposure, but I suppose it's fine as long as I sanitize my utensil.

What source of L plantarum did you use?

Oxygen neither helps nor harms the Lactobacilli, so aeration doesn't matter.

This is the Funktional Fruit Sour kit from Northern Brewer. It came with Omega Labs Lactobacillus blend...so technically brevis and plantarum blend.

@RPh_Guy described it about the best anyone could. I'm not even sure how to describe that. You can almost smell the tartness/lactic acid that is created. You'll definitely notice a change in aroma, it's quite obvious.

For a kettle sour, you shouldn't be aerating the wort so you didn't do that wrong. My process is usually as follows...

1. Perform mash, sparge and lauter as usual.
2. Once you have pre boil volume in kettle, perform a short (10 min) boil.
3. Chill the wort down to your desired temp. For me, I always use Omega Lacto (OYL-604 I think) so my temp is usually right 93*F.
4. Pre acidify to 4.0-4.4 pH with lactic acid.
5. Pitch 1 packet of Omega Lacto per 5 gallons
6. Cover with sanitized plastic wrap and tinfoil.
7. Let sit until desired pH is reached, usually 36 hours is enough to hit my 3.1 - 3.2
8. Proceed as usual.

You're not going to see anything happening, it isn't fermentation. You'll need to taste and/or test with a pH meter.

Ok, so you're using the omega blend. I love that stuff.

However, it's a bit slower at room temp. I used to always move my kettle to the stove so that I could fire up the stove and gently raise temp if I needed.

When I did my one and only kettle sour I held my kettle at 100 degrees F for a day or two (Sitting in front of a space heater). Soured nicely.

It may be difficult to taste sourness while the wort is still sweet.

If you ultimately decide the culture was dead and the wort isn't sour...
You can find some L plantarum locally. GoodBelly and RenewLife Ultimate Flora are pretty widely available.

If you have to pitch more Lacto anyway, it's not too late to use the fast sour process that I recommend:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

So maybe it's just slow. I thought about getting a brew belt to help warm it up, but the packaging says it is not for use on metal.

@RPh_Guy, interesting thread. Makes perfect sense. If I still have trouble after a few days, I'll take your advice.

I put the kettle on a burner on low for about 30 minutes. Just enough to warm it up slightly. When I took it off, I took a new whiff. This time, I can smell a faint tartness. I think the heat helped volatize the compounds to make it easier to smell. Now I'll just be patient to Friday and reassess.

Will do. I can say for sure that it is souring/soured now. I probably was just impatient, but the short bit of heating on the stove possibly helped some. I can smell what RPh_Guy described. Today I will taste a sample right before starting the boil.

I tasted a tiny sample today with a thankfully sanitized wand. It wasn't nearly as sour as I anticipated. It is definitely getting sour, but considering this is going to be diluted later on, it didn't seem sour enough. So, I'm sticking it on the stove for a little bit and giving it till Monday.

@RPh_Guy...at the end of your article you say that using your method creates a probiotic beverage. I assume that's only if no hops are used, correct, since hopping would kill the bacteria?

So hops are bacteriostatic, not bactericidal with regards to Lactobacillus plantarum?

Back