Kettle Sour - eBIAB Tips Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DissolvedO2DoubleG

Reaction score
Curious if anyone out there has ever brewed a kettle sour with an electric kettle, and if so what is your process?

I figure that holding the temp at 108-110F or so for the requisite time to sour should be a snap due to the electric PID, but what I'm wondering is how to eliminate O2 pickup during the souring process. The only thing that comes to mind is saran wrap, but I was hoping for something more advanced.

Thanks, in advance.

After mash/sparge, bring to a boil.
Cool to 100°F.
Add lactic acid to lower pH to 4.0-4.5 (if you have a pH meter).
Pitch a culture of L. plantarum (generally preferred) or other Lacto (adjust temperature based on your culture).
Holding temp is not necessary for L. plantarum (free falling from 100 to 70 is perfectly fine). Keep as air tight as reasonably possible. Oxygen is not a problem, but you want to keep out contaminants.
After 1-3 days it should be plenty sour.
Return to boil, add hops if you want.
Chill & pitch yeast, use higher pitch rates if pH is below 3.5.

Cheers & welcome to the forum!

Cool to 100°F.
Pitch a culture of L. plantarum (generally preferred) or other Lacto (adjust temperature based on your culture).
Holding temp is not necessary for L. plantarum (free falling from 100 to 70 is perfectly fine). Keep as air tight as reasonably possible. Oxygen is not a problem, but you want to keep out contaminants.

Cheers & welcome to the forum!

Cheers to you, and thanks. That should make it much easier. Appreciate it.

Cool to 100°F.

This is about the most simple, straightforward, accurate answer possible.

Technically, you don't have to bring it to a boil after the mash. If you get it to 180 degrees, it should be pasteurized.
I only drop the pH to 4.5 to let the lacto do most of the souring. That supposedly adds more depth to the flavor, but I've never done a side by side.
Be sure your water is well filtered and chlorine free, as sours tend to showcase water quality issues. I learned this the hard way recently.

Have fun, kettle sours are a blast.

Back