Kentucky Common Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendenb

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I stumbled upon Revvy's Rye Kentucky Common Ale Recipe, and I am trying to convert it as closely as possible, realizing that some elements need to be changed to account for extract brewing and also doing a partial mash for the Flaked Maize.

This is what I came up with:

3.5lbs Pale Malt Extract 2-Row
2.25lbs Flaked Maize
2lbs Rye Extract
2 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Crystal/Caramel Malt
1lbs 2 Row Malt (To use while mashing the Flaked Maize)

.85 Cluster Hops

American Ale Yeast

I read through the whole thread regarding the Kentucky Common and used the collective wisdom available to create this recipe.

Would appreciate hearing some feedback on this recipe. Thanks! :mug:

I think you need to increase the rye malt extract at the same time you decrease the pale malt extract. Rye male extract is difficult to make because the rye is so sticky so it has a high percentage of pale malt just to keep it from gumming up everything. As I remember it, the rye malt extract is about 35% rye.

Okay, great, thanks for the feedback!

The Rye Extract Northern Brewer sells is 70% 2-Row, 20% Rye, and 10% caramel 40 malt.

So, maybe flip the numbers so that it is 3.5lbs Rye Extract, 2lbs Pale malt?

Any other suggestions on this recipe?

Hi. I know this thread is as old as the hills but I am dying to brew a "Kentucky Common" and this seems to be the closest I can get for an extract brewer. Did you brew this? Any suggestions to make is close to the Real Thing?

hahaha....this is not an old thread. I've gone into 3 year old threads and revived them. This one is only a couple months old. ;)

And yes, I'm following this because I'd like to learn more about this brew.

I have had some tremendous results with rye, but the original (historical) recipes do not mention it. Rye appears to be a recent modification by the original poster.
I may give Kentucky Common a try, but without rye, and to do it right I need to get a hold of some neomexicanus hops for bittering. Barring that, I may have to use Cluster for both bittering and flavoring.

Latest posts

Back