Keggle or Penrose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppenwolph

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to upgrade some equipment and am torn between what to use. I am anticipating building a three kettle setup, and can't decide between the keggle and the Penrose kettle. The keggle is appealing due to its inherent cheepness, and due the the many accessories (mainly the false bottom and lids) that are available for it. The Penrose is desirable for its sturdiness (though the new handles are a weak point) and that it is purpose built for the job. I am an inherently cheep SOB, and am leaning towards the keggle, but I really like the material that the Penrose kettle is made from, very substantial.
Any thoughts?

It's hard to beat a keggle. The handles are built in and they work very very well.

I use one for my HLT.

If cheap is the desire I'd say keggle may be the best bet. I know I bought 15gl Bayou Classic pots and then made my own false bottoms, dip tubes, welded all fittings for the ball valves and returns and honestly it seemed cheaper than a Blichman or the like but it was still quite expensive. The Penrose wasn't available when I wanted to get my pots built so I went with the Bayou. If I did it again I'd definitely go with something that had parts readily available to just "plug and play". I have a tig welder, plasma cutter and about every metal tool ever needed for a small brewery and it was still a pain and expensive. The Penrose is about the same size as the Bayou 15gl and the only false bottoms I know of that will fit are the domed units. I wanted wall to wall because of direct fire MLT so I ordered perforated sheet to make my own. It was cheaper than having a jaybird FB made but it wasn't cheap. I made two, one for BK and one for MLT and it was still $124 for a piece of sheet big enough for both. Plus the fittings, thermometers, sight glasses. I'd say I have over $600 in the three so the Blichman's or whatever others complete available start to look pretty reasonable if you don't have the tools. Cheap is out of the question, reasonable is easily within reach with a keggle. I like the penrose but don't count out the cost of lids for the HLT and MLT if you want them. False bottoms, dip tubes, thermometers, sight glasses, etc. Sure the pot is less than $150 but add at least $100 per pot to get it where you likely want it. Still a great pot but not quite as cheap as a $35 keg. www.homebrewstuff.com has some decent kettles that I propably should have bought in retrospect.

if you can DIY and don't mind taking on projects the KEGGLE is great. if you can' be bothered with doing research or fabbing and just want it now then penrose kettle is the way to go.

I personally have $65 invested in 3 kegs. then I have the fittings to go along with them another $150 or so for couplings, 3 piece valves, sight glass, etc etc. now if I bought 3 penrose kettles I'd be well over $650 I would guess.

now I don't have false bottoms yet, but I haven't found any perforated SS that is large enough to make a FB so I'll likely buy one for the Boil Kettle and one for the Mash keggle.

-=jason=-

Back