Kegging with out Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am ready to keg my 2nd beer but I haven't finished my first in the kegerator. There is not room for a 2nd.

What do I do about kegging the 2nd? Do I have to wait until I finish my first?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

The keg does not have to be refrigerated. Go ahead and keg the beer, purge the headspace a few times with CO2 to vent the O2, and then hit it with about 30PSI to make sure the lid seals. Your beer is now okay to sit until space opens up in the kegerator. Periodically check the PRV to make sure the keg is still holding pressure.

I agree, keg that beer. When you want to drink it, you will need to put it in a fridge somehow, but you can keg it and keep it 'warm' for a while yet. I mean we do that with bottles all the time. The packaging doesn't demand a fridge, the consumption does ;)

I'll assume you have a second keg.... Just rack the 2nd batch into the second keg and carb it up with corn sugar. Use less sugar than you normally would for bottling. I believe the norm is about 50 to 75% of what you normally would. Beersmith has a calc for that as well from what I hear.

The keg does not have to be refrigerated. Go ahead and keg the beer, purge the headspace a few times with CO2 to vent the O2, and then hit it with about 30PSI to make sure the lid seals. Your beer is now okay to sit until space opens up in the kegerator. Periodically check the PRV to make sure the keg is still holding pressure.

This is correct. However, you will do no harm to the beer leaving it on the yeast for up to 4 weeks. In fact, it can only help.

Agreed with others, keg it, add corn sugar, and let it condition at room temp for a couple weeks while you're waiting to kill the other keg. That way it will be all carbed up and ready to go when its time to switch.

Back