Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonafide Brew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I started an experiment and need some advice...

I am trying to make sparkling wine and I am getting issues with foaming.

This is what I have tried so far:

1. 1.75 gallon corny keg with chardonnay carbed to 55psi and cooled in the kegerator near freezing
  2. For dispensing, 3/16" ID vinyl tubing (I tried all different lengths 5', 20', 50') cooled in the kegerator
  3. Flow controlled stainless steel faucet (which I also cooled in an ice bath before dispensing)
  4. I even tried purging the keg a bit to dispense at a lower psi
As I open the tap, foam comes shooting out. If i reduce the pressure, I still get foam coming out. Seems like sometimes, the foam is starting in the lines even before it gets to the tap. By the time the foam settles in the glass, the wine is flat again. The lines are new and clean so no issues there.

If I open the keg and pour wine into a glass, it's nice and carbonated so I know it's an issue with the dispensing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Louis

I can't even find a carbonation calculator that can handle 55 psi into a near freezing beer but the volumes of CO2 must be crazy high - like 8 volumes or higher.

A sparkling wine should be around 4 to 5 volumes, which would be tough enough to dispense. 8 would likely verge on impossible to tame...

Cheers!

Yea I couldnt find it on the chart either. I was going off of what most people were doing for their sparkling water (seltzer). And from most of the forum posts I've read, everyone seems to say 50+ is the ticket :/

It is pretty crazy though. I've been kegging beer for a while and I am comfortable working in the 10-12 psi range. It's a lil scary when trying to max out the regulator :O

Back