Kegging Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and was wondering about temps. I have family visiting me at the beach late july for a week. I have already heard rumblings of them wanting to get a keg of B-Light in my kegerator for the week. Will it hurt one of my 5 gallon kegs if I remove it from the fridge for a week or so, then re-chill it after they are gone?

I know pasteurized beer is a problem, not sure about the temp changes with homebrew.

My understanding is that the temp changes will affect homebrew even more since it is usually unfiltered and you are subjecting the yeast to temperature swing in addition to everything else in the beer

I think what you're afraid of is skunking your beer. That occurs when sunlight (UV) begins breakign down hop molecules giving that skunk taste. Your beer will be fine if removed from the kegerator. I'd just recomend not allowing it to get too hot. Probably keep it in a closet or basement.

Back