kegging for the first time tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roth_nj

Reaction score
i am going to keg for the first time tonight. i got my set-up yesterday and all i have to do is sanitize it and she's good to go.

i am going to force carb it. ive read everything and i get the general idea.

the only question i have is, i know i put it up to about 30 PSI and shake for about 5 minutes. then let it sit for a couple hours. when letting it sit, do i keep it at the 30 PSI? or do i put it down to my estimated PSI according to the chart?

How long do you plan on having it sit? If you are not going to touch it for a week so that it gets a little aging in, just set the regulator at the recommended chart PSI and it will carbonate over time.

If you want to drink it right away, then you should be alright with your steps.

REMEMBER, don't drop the pressure on your regulator until you purge the 30 psi headspace from the keg, otherwise you *might* get some backflow into your gas line. If you don't have check valves, that could ruin your regulator.

I am still a kegging newb myself. However from what I have seen and done, put it under 30~40psi and shake it. Put it in the fridge for 24hrs under 30psi. Bleed off the pressure and hit it again with like 20psi, shake and back in the fridge. Third day, bleed it, set it to serving pressure and pour.

I did that with my first keg, but now I am doing the "serving pressure/temp" for 6 days thing.

-Todd

the next one im going to do at the lower psi for the week and just let it age..

i want to be able to drink this batch this weekend.

so how long at the high PSI?

how long is several hours? a day?

turn it down and test a glass after like 3 hours?

I was told 3 days for force carbing. 24hrs @40psi. 24hrs @ 20psi, drop to serving pressure and pour.

Im not fond of the shaking method. I throw a new keg in the fridge and put it at 30 psi for 24 hours, then drop to 20psi for 24 hours, then serving pressure (12psi for me). Drinkable beer after 3 to 4 days, perfect in 7. Your beer could always benefit with an extra week of aging.;)

do i leave the CO2 connected the whole time?

or do i fill it up to pressure and disconnect it and throw it in the fridge?

I have the fridge temp around 35-36 degrees, I attach the CO2 with 8 PSI and leave it allone for 5-6 days. When I'm serving, I purge the 8 PSI and drop the pressure to 3-5 PSI....perfect pours and head. I did the 30 PSI shake a couple of times and I could not get the the desired results.

I have the fridge temp around 35-36 degrees, I attach the CO2 with 8 PSI and leave it allone for 5-6 days. When I'm serving, I purge the 8 PSI and drop the pressure to 3-5 PSI....perfect pours and head. I did the 30 PSI shake a couple of times and I could not get the the desired results.

Wow. WHat length of hose do you use? I serve at like 15psi.

Back