kegging and yeasties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, in my bottles there's a small yeast cake, that I know helps carrbonate them when I add priming sugar. I'm not going to want that yeast cake in my keg I assume, since it will be pressurized along with the beer. How do I rack off the primary or secondary without moving the yeast particles, or does it even matter? I know to not siphon right off the yeast cake, but right above it.

You keg just as you would bottle. The sediment in the bottles will be present in the keg, especially if you carb with priming sugar. With the keg, the first half pint you pull will be cloudy with sediment, but after that it will be clear til the end.

Cold crashing your beer for a few days under 40F helps drop the yeast and form a tight yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter. My finished serving kegs rarely have anything more than a few spoonfuls of yeast/trub at the end.

I cold crash and I don't have much in my kegs either. I wouldn't be too concerned about it though.

Another advantage of cold crashing prior to kegging is that beer in the 40 F range will absorb the CO2 gas more effectively. I usually cold crash for 48-72 hours prior to kegging with good results.

Latest posts

Back