Kegging and Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyphoxx

Reaction score
So I made this mild, and within a week in primary it was clear. I mean crystal clear. While still beer colored I could see my finger on the other side of my test tasting glass when I pulled a sample.

racked it to a keg making sure to miss the cake, and when I take a sample (two days in to force carbing) it comes out like pond water. SUPER murky. I know that if I leave it in there long enough and cold enough (35 F) it should clear again. It was clear once, it'll be clear again.

I took a 3oz sample on day of racking, yesterday, and today, no difference in clarity.

Is my sample taking impeding the clarification process here? I'm not moving the keg, just adding a cobra tap, pouring, and detaching. Will it make all the difference if I quit taking daily samples?

So, how did you rack from your fermenter to the keg, did you move the fermenter? If so you kicked up some yeast. Even though you avoided the cake it's impossible not to get some yeast transfered over. You pulled your fermenter samples that were so clear from the TOP of the fermenter where it's going to be clearer over all.

In a week or two, in your keg, in the cold you are going to have ice clear crystal beer again.

I assume you are chilling to force carb. My guess from the info is chill haze. Does it go clear if you let it warm up back to room temp? Was the boil quickly achieved and maintained throughout? was it cooled quickly?

I thought chill haze too. Let it sit for an hour, no change. Not hazy, just murky/yeasty. I think Revvy is spot on. Still if that's the case, then would my sample taking every few days impede the clearing process?

You only gave it a day? It hasn't even settled from the racking process. Give it a few days at least. It is usually at least two weeks before carbonation equilibrium anyway.

You only gave it a day? It hasn't even settled from the racking process. Give it a few days at least. It is usually at least two weeks before carbonation equilibrium anyway.

That's what I said. Even if I burst carb for 2 days, I know it's not going to be crystal clear for a couple weeks.

One of the things to do when racking from fermenter to keg is to move the fermenter into "position" where you normal rack it from a few hours or even a day in advance, or at least over night. That give the yeast you couldn't help but move around as you moved it around to settle back down.

A weeks after raking my initially clear beer and still... Pond water. I used super moss in the boil. Will adding gelatin be overkill? Iced used each separately but not both in the same beer.

Also thanks govner. Clear Beer Draught system intrigues me. Sure you pour from the top but I can only imagine you'd only be able to draw a pint every few days as you get closer to the middle/bottom.

A weeks after raking my initially clear beer and still... Pond water. I used super moss in the boil. Will adding gelatin be overkill? Iced used each separately but not both in the same beer.

Also thanks govner. Clear Beer Draught system intrigues me. Sure you pour from the top but I can only imagine you'd only be able to draw a pint every few days as you get closer to the middle/bottom.

I use both all the time when kegging. No problems.

Brew on :mug:

Back