Kegging 3gal of beer in 5gal keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I like to use the burst carbonate method were you set it to 30 psi for 24hrs an then bleed off the pressure an set the co2 regulator to your serving pressure an then drink. So my question if I use the burst carbonate method for 3gal of beer in a 5gal keg won’t that cause my beer to become over carbonate?

First off, perform a 100% liquid pre-purge and fill the keg with beer through the liquid-out post using a QD. The essence is the keg remains closed, the lid remains on.
That way you won't have a huge 2-3 gallon headspace that cannot be purged to any standard without wasting a tremendous amount of CO2 in the process. The pre-purge method only uses 5.5 gallons of CO2, and gives you a keg that's filled 100% with CO2, with no O2 left, or only a mere trace of O2 left, when done correctly.

If the gas remains connected, 30 psi is 30 psi, whether there's a pint of headspace or 2 gallons. Carbonation should progress in a similar way since the exposed beer/CO2 (surface) area remains the same.

I would just consider a 3 gal keg. They have several less than 5 gal sizes out there. Or adjust your recipe to 5 gal?

Back