Kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStyler

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting a little curious about kegging and therefore getting a kegerator, or an additional fridge for the beer that I would install a spout on. After a quick cruise around the interweb - what is with people trying to get new prices for used kegerators??? What is the best way to go about doing this? Getting a little used fridge and whipping it up yourself? Any good resources? Thanks guys.

there is a botteling/kegging section on the forums.

I bought a new Magic Chef chest freezer for $200, a starter kegging system for $200, a thermostat for $70 and was in business. and when my kegs are empty there is room to lager 10+gal of beer

Kegorators don't go down much in price, because they aren't that common to find. Most people here have built their own.

$200 sounds kind of expensive. I've been thinking of building a fermentation chamber/kegerator setup, and they only run $50-100 for a nice sized chest freezer on craigslist.

Aside from that, I think building your own is the way to go.

Craigslist is your friend in these matters. Just don’t go to cheap. My first fridge was a 20 dollar fridge that was ugly on the outside, I painted it and it worked for about a month. Go for a newer fridge, you will get a deal if you check it often.

Got my pre-kegerator (a large dorm fridge) for $60 on Craig's list. Then bought a kegging kit from Kegconnection.

If you get a large dorm fridge you will be much happier with one with NO freezer section. Bending those out of the way seems to end badly for people about 50/50.

$250 for a two keg system which included kegs, tank, manifold, regulator, hoses & connectors, shanks and faucets (kegconnection.com). I bought a great side by side fridge off Craigslist for $60 and I now have a Blonde ale and an Oktoberfest on tap

Back