Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
Guys, I have a chance to get a brand new Kegerator marked down from 449.00 to 200.00..I really want to buy this, my question is can I change the thermostat and ferment in this when not in use?

You could probably change the thermostat out, but at that price you are getting a mid quality unit at best and you may risk damaging the thermostat each time you swap it out if it is not well made. You are probably better off getting an external controller for when you want to use it at fermentation or lagering temps. That is how I think I would do it in that situation.

You could probably change the thermostat out, but at that price you are getting a mid quality unit at best and you may risk damaging the thermostat each time you swap it out if it is not well made. You are probably better off getting an external controller for when you want to use it at fermentation or lagering temps. That is how I think I would do it in that situation.
I don't understand? What are some brands of these
externals, and how do they work?

There are probably many manufacturers, but Love and Johnson are frequently used, particularly for people converting freezers to kegerators.

The unit basically plugs into the wall, and then you would plug the refrigerator power into the unit. You set the controller to the temperature you want to control to. The unit has a temperature probe that you place inside the fridge in free air, or in a small container of jel and the probe monitors the temp inside the fridge. When the temp rises above the set point the controller applies power to the outlet where the refrigerator is plugged in so the refrigerator can run and cool. When the temperature hits your set point the controller cuts the power to the outlet where the fridge is plugged in.

You want to make sure for a fermentor application that the controller temperature range goes up the highest temperature you would want to control to. (probably 68 or so deg F) The controller will not allow you to heat the fridge, only turn it on to cool down, then shut it off.

i use the 'plug n' play' type temp controller when fermenting lagers and just plug it in normally when using it as a refrigerator, so yeah, it's absolutely possible.

Latest posts

Back