Kegerator Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbart

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been lurking around here for awhile. Found a lot of answers in old post. Big thanks to everyone who takes the time to help.

I know its been covered many times before but I am still have problems figuring out which route to take. Feel free to point me towards another thread if I missed it. I have a older 1/2 barrel kegerator that I loaded with 4 taps and 4 cornys. Works well, but would like to add a digital temp controller on the door or elsewhere. Currently it just has a dial that is less than accurate. I pulled it apart, and it does not have a relay. I am unsure how many amps it is as any information left on it is unreadable. What are some options? Should I add a relay or is there controller out there that will work well?

Thanks for the reply. I have flipped through several old threads and most of them deal with keezers. I did come across one with some good info but can't find it back. I would prefer to mount and hard wire something up, although if its going to be too difficult ill just get a ranco.

Those look good, not sure how to mount them up bit for $30-60 its worth a shot. Do they come with a temp probe or will I have to order it separately?

I'm confused, This is for a serving fridge? Why would you need such tight control over serving temps? I use a controller for my fermentation fridge and a serving freezer but I think a regular fridge would hit good serving temps without any help.

You can get a Ranco on ePay for about $50 which includes the probe. You plug the fridge into the Ranco and the Ranco into the wall. What could be simpler?

But, I'm with maida, why put one on a regular fridge? As soon as you fill a glass the temp starts to drop. I don't see the need for such accuracy.

I'm confused, This is for a serving fridge? Why would you need such tight control over serving temps? I use a controller for my fermentation fridge and a serving freezer but I think a regular fridge would hit good serving temps without any help.

You're correct, it is for a serving fridge and that it does not have to be so precise. However, currently it just has a dial marked with 1,2,3,4,..... I can't get it to hold a stable temp, let alone choose which one it is. Some days its 29 degrees, others it's 47. Granted, the temp of the beer is likely not swinging as much but I still have very little control as far as a set point goes.
I would rather not cut power at the supply as it has a consta nt circulation fan that also cools the tower. Maybe its not needed, but short of controlling the temperature it works really well.

Just wanted to add, the current temperature control is in the back of the kegerator. With 4 cornys in the I can't get to it, I have to pull them out to reach it. It would be nice to be able to change it from the outside.

Mbart said:
Those look good, not sure how to mount them up bit for $30-60 its worth a shot. Do they come with a temp probe or will I have to order it separately?

The temp probe comes with the unit. I'm not sure what you mean by mount them up though. If you can get a ranco for $50 and you don't want as much DIY, to each their own. I like the DIY aspect of it.

The temp probe comes with the unit. I'm not sure what you mean by mount them up though. If you can get a ranco for $50 and you don't want as much DIY, to each their own. I like the DIY aspect of it.

I would like to try to flush mount it, either on the door or the side of the kegerator. However, it looked like these would go back pretty deep.

This method is not automatic but it is cheap.
I have a digital thermometer with a long wire attached to it. I set the thermometer on top of my kegerator and run the wire into the kegerator where it can read the inside temp. Whenever I walk by my kegerator I easily see it's current temp. and can manually make adjustments as needed.

The body of the ebay unit is about 3.5" deep, 3" wide, and 1" tall.

Thanks for that! Which means I would have about 2" sticking into the kegerator. Not ideal. Although, it could probably be done on the side. Maybe build a box out of stainless, attach it to the top. Who knows, I think I will just order a controller and see what I can figure out.

This method is not automatic but it is cheap.
I have a digital thermometer with a long wire attached to it. I set the thermometer on top of my kegerator and run the wire into the kegerator where it can read the inside temp. Whenever I walk by my kegerator I easily see it's current temp. and can manually make adjustments as needed.

Ha, I did the same thing. The kegerator has a dial thermometer on the door but I didnt trust it. Turns out, it is pretty accurate. I am fine with this method although my problem is that the dial to change the temp is in the kegerator and blocked by the kegs. It's really tight in there! I have to pull hegs out to get to it.

Ha, I did the same thing. The kegerator has a dial thermometer on the door but I didnt trust it. Turns out, it is pretty accurate. I am fine with this method although my problem is that the dial to change the temp is in the kegerator and blocked by the kegs. It's really tight in there! I have to pull hegs out to get to it.

Oh, that sucks. Fortunately my dial is on the back of the kegerator and easy to access.

Thanks for that! Which means I would have about 2" sticking into the kegerator. Not ideal. Although, it could probably be done on the side. Maybe build a box out of stainless, attach it to the top. Who knows, I think I will just order a controller and see what I can figure out.

No worries. Mine is sitting on my table...just got it a few days ago...shipping takes a few weeks from China. I measured it using a 2" wide roll of tape...too lazy to find a tape measure....but those measurements should be pretty damn close to correct.

I just ordered the eBay one. However, I accidentally sent them them a old address through paypal. Hope they can read my emails!! Otherwise, someone else gets to enjoy it.

So, I think I am going to forget about the idea of flush mounting it into the kegerator itself. Not only will it stick into the fridge, I doubt it will last that long in that environment and I have to cut a pretty decent sized hole in it. I think I am going to order something such as:

http://actionelectronicswholesale.com/Crown-Royal-Series-Boxes-P25216.aspx

http://www.polycase.com/shop-by/size-range/medium.html

Then, just mount it on the top. This will give me a little flexibility also, im case I want to change it someday. I like the aluminum box but not sure how it will look on stainless. Any other ideas?

Back