Kegerator Security - Keeping Randoms/Drunks from Stealing my Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYB

Reaction score
Cliffs are bolded.

Before I say anything else, I am open to sharing my beer. Not a problem. However, I live with 4 girls and I only know some of their friends. We all randomly have people over and have parties sometimes, and I don't want all my kegs getting drained. I don't have space in my room, so it will be going in the beer pong room. I will have 2 Stouts in it at all times, and another tap or two eventually. About 4/5 people I know don't like dark beer (they're the BMC crowd), so if randoms took some beer, I would think at least half would be wasted upon finding out it wasn't Bud Light.

Now, on to solutions. Could I maybe implement a type of valve in there somewhere to act as like an On/Off switch for beer, but that wouldn't mess anything up being turned on and off many times? Maybe a ball valve for the beer line/s? Would that work? I plan to have a lock on the fridge door and (unrelated) a metal plate to connect the fridge and freezer doors to open as one since I have 2 tall Guinness handles (came with Guinness faucets, got a great deal, cheaper than the typcal chrome stout faucets :) ).

They make locks for the taps themselves. This could be the beginnings of a solution.
-Me

Dude, Kegbot FTW but I think Yoopers solution seems to be the simplest... Damn womens with their logic and all.
-Me

I'm looking for cheap(er) but effective solutions. I see they now have Stout faucet locks, which might work, but they are kind of expensive. The disconnect thing could work, but I would prefer a valve. Wouldn't disconnecting it spill some beer each time?

Would a ball valve work on the beer line/s though? It seems like it should. I'll have to look into the kegbot more, but I feel like it wouldn't be cheap. The girls aren't my problem, only one of them likes Stout, the rest hate it. It's everyone else. Thanks for all the help though!

To the original OP's idea, yes. An inline on/off ball valve will work (assuming you do put a lock on fridge, and they don't figure out how to get in and turn them on). Just make sure it is the right size, and you seal the connections well. It could be a source of air getting into your beer, or add tribulation to your beer knocking the CO2 out of solution. Don't get brass ones either.

i dont know why but i thought i read that those dont work with Perlicks. is that true???

I may experiment with some of these ideas and see which works best. Thanks.

If there using that good homebrew for this, I suggest a Eskrima Stick because that is wrong.

No one will be using my homebrew for beer pong, which is one reason why I want to lock it up. It's our back room with a door to outside that I built a table in and put speakers in and is now the beer pong room. I guess with the keggerator it could just be the beer room. I have all my brewing equipment in there atm too.

How about you just take off (unscrew) the tap handles?

People could still get to the beer if they were clever (or had strong fingers) but, if they wanted some that bad, then they deserve it. Seems pretty simple to me...

People could still get to the beer if they were clever (or had strong fingers) but, if they wanted some that bad, then they deserve it. Seems pretty simple to me...

Insufficient IMO. It doesn't take too much to open a tap without a handle... a pair of pliers, perhaps. Either that or buy a tap handle for a couple bucks and back in business...

All you need is to pay me $150,000 a year and I'll watch your beer 24/7 with one of these available at all times:
mp510.gif

Electric fence or perhaps that crazy robot from robocop. You know the one that went bezerk.

Electric fencing all around your keggerator , hard wired into the wall with a keyed on/off switch. That would work.

If you use ball valves, then use gas tape. Works better than teflon.

You could use these, wired to a relay and a keyed electric switch on the outside of the door.
Electric Ball Valve Actuators w/Manual Override

ebv.jpg

I don't want it to be too much of a hassle for me when I want beer is the thing.

Try something like this as a shutoff. It is not brass and it is reasonable in price. Much smaller than a ball valve too.

South Hills Brewing Supply

Salute! :mug:

That could work, thanks.

Electric fence or perhaps that crazy robot from robocop. You know the one that went bezerk.

Electric fencing all around your keggerator , hard wired into the wall with a keyed on/off switch. That would work.

If you use ball valves, then use gas tape. Works better than teflon.

You could use these, wired to a relay and a keyed electric switch on the outside of the door.
Electric Ball Valve Actuators w/Manual Override

ebv.jpg

I may look into something like that later on down the road, thanks.

I may add all the suggestions to the first post for anyone searching the same thing.

Insufficient IMO. It doesn't take too much to open a tap without a handle... a pair of pliers, perhaps. Either that or buy a tap handle for a couple bucks and back in business...

It sounded like these people are just regular BMC folk who just happen to pass by the keggerator. I doubt they would have enough motivation to find some pliers or go to the store for a tap handle.

What's wrong with Yooper's solution? It's easily the cheapest one posted.

I will probably do that or an on/off valve. Maybe the first, then the other.

Edit: True. I'll probably just disconnect it. I wasn't sure how easy they were to get on and off, don't have a keg yet. Later on I might do an electronic valve. It would be easier for me to get beer and it would just be kind of cool.

You can also have a bowl of sanitizer to dip the ball locks in to prevent them from getting sticky between connections.
Disconnecting the ball locks is my plan for when I go out of town, etc, then just lock the fridge.

Take a picture of you urinating into a keg. Label it "My Sanitation Procedures are All Natural." Post it directly above the taps.

Should stop all but the most dedicated.

I do what Yoop suggested. Every once in a while I have something on tap that I don't want the monthy poker crowd to destroy, so I just pull the QD off of the liquid post. They're not kegging homebrewers so they have no idea how to put it back on.

I'd think an in line valve would be best. If you remove the coupler you will have a fitting that may leak.

Actually I'm thinking about the Tap Locks myself. But man they are pricey for what they are. I wonder about a bicycle tire lock?

Another solution.

Put up a sign that says:
The beer in this fridge is NOT PUBLIC BEER. If you would like to sample please ask *YourName* for a sample.

then get some small dixie cups people and try it and then have a full glass if you feel they're allowed.
But Go with yoop's suggestion on party night.
I'm guessing this is a college setting?

I know at least when I was in college House Rules meant everything and were generally respected among strangers and friends alike.

Buy minifridge that fits in your room move kegs up there :)

I think the big problem is that you've already exposed yourself to an environment that promotes disrespect of beer evidenced by the beer pong table. I think all drinking games a designed to force people to drink. When it comes to beer, I don't need an excuse or motivator.

Another solution.

Put up a sign that says:
The beer in this fridge is NOT PUBLIC BEER. If you would like to sample please ask *YourName* for a sample.

then get some small dixie cups people and try it and then have a full glass if you feel they're allowed.
But Go with yoop's suggestion on party night.
I'm guessing this is a college setting?

I know at least when I was in college House Rules meant everything and were generally respected among strangers and friends alike.

Buy minifridge that fits in your room move kegs up there :)

Yea it's a college setting. Most people are respectful, but there are always that few who don't care (especially when they've been drinking). We don't have open parties, but like I said I don't know all of their friends.

I already have a mini fridge in my room, a small one, but that's for food and bottles. I don't have the slightest bit of room for another one.

I think the big problem is that you've already exposed yourself to an environment that promotes disrespect of beer evidenced by the beer pong table. I think all drinking games a designed to force people to drink. When it comes to beer, I don't need an excuse or motivator.

You can't disrespect a pile of **** (Bud/Natty/Milller Light). You're looking at it all wrong. Most people get cheap beer because it's cheap. Drinking games make drinking more fun an enjoyable than just sitting or standing around just drinking. Granted we do both, some people are playing games, some are not. It has nothing to do with disrespect for beer, forcing people to drink, or motivation.

You've got corny kegs, right?

Seems silly to bother with valves or anything elaborate when you can just pull off the liquid fitting(s). You've got check valves on both sides working for you and if someone opens the tap, they'll only get a few drops at best.

Just pull the liquid fittings off and lock the fridge. Hang a sign on the tap handle that says, "Empty." Keep a spray bottle of star-san handy when you go to reconnect the lines. Problem solved?

Yea I decided on that. I didn't realize how easy they were to take off. I don't have the kegs yet, but yes they will be cornies.

Yea I decided on that. I didn't realize how easy they were to take off. I don't have the kegs yet, but yes they will be cornies.

The plastic ones are easier to get off, more of a "rim" to grip. Some metals ones are like that too, but most metal ones are really hard to grip, especially if they have any old beer on them.

One day, when I own my own f'ing house... <insert dream sequence> ... I might use the electronic system in my basement cold room to lock out the many taps located in various rooms of the house. Thumbprint activated system, possibly retina scanner, though my the time I have my own house it will probably be a facial recognition system.

None of the is necessary but it sure looks cool.

Sell the faucets and put picnic taps on all your kegs and label them. Then padlock the fridge. Problem solved, no carbonation lost, no poppets leaking, and no connecting to the wrong keg. When you move, make sure you can put your kegerator in your room and keep it locked when you are gone.

Back