Kegerator CO2 leak, beer sitting for around 3.5 months with no co2 but cold. Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OopsMD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A while back I noticed that somewhere in my kegerator there is a leak (went to pull a pint and nothing happened). Never had this problem before. I also did not have much time in the past few months to figure out where the leak is and get the co2 refilled. What are the chances of the 2 kegs currently in the fridge being ruined? They have been refrigerated the whole time.

Look at the color, cold wont keep it from oxidizing. If its a dark beer you might not notice and some co2 will bring it to life, if its a light beer and you see it dark its probably done for. My brother lost a beer i made him for having it off co2 for about a month and in the fridge.

Were your kegs sealed? They need CO2 pressure to keep air out and if they weren't pressurized at least a little then they were probably allowing in air, in which case they will probably taste pretty stale

I had that happen to a lagering oktoberfest once because I accidentally had the tank regulator shut off and I stuck it in the lagering fridge and forgot it for 3 months. The beer absorbed the CO2 and it lost pressure, unsealed and totally ruined it.

Last edited:
Back