Kegerator Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burns711

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

First-time poster, long-time lurker.

I have this old GE freezer just sitting in my garage and I want to convert it into a kegerator. Only problem is that the cooling elements are the shelves (see pic).

I was wondering if anyone has converted one of these or if it’s even possible to do without doing too much damage?

Thanks!

I don't think you can do it when the cooling elements are in the shelves like that.

I have a freezer similar to that, and I'm able to get 4 pin locks and a 10# tank in it. It will be easier if the shelf second from the bottom is > 23". If you cut out the supporting wires connecting the coils then it is a lot easier to bend. Make sure that freezer is warm when you do it, and take your time...
20180201_173142.jpg
20180201_173213.jpg

I saw another freezer with the cooling coils that the person bent the shelves down torward the side if the fridge in the example above, the shelves would have been on the left hand side.

Could you sell this and put that toward one without the coils?

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to give it a shot and try to bend them. If it breaks, no big deal. It was free anyway.

I have a freezer similar to that, and I'm able to get 4 pin locks and a 10# tank in it. It will be easier if the shelf second from the bottom is > 23". If you cut out the supporting wires connecting the coils then it is a lot easier to bend. Make sure that freezer is warm when you do it, and take your time...
View attachment 559568 View attachment 559569
After staring at this thing for hours, I’m stumped on the best direction to bend the shelves. Best case senario is bending them both up, but the top shelf hits the top of the freezer and doesn’t leave enough room for the keg. Bending them down is pretty much the same result.

I’m scared to bend them against the walls because I think it might kink the lines. Ugh...if it was a three shelf, I’d be in much better shape.

After staring at this thing for hours, I’m stumped on the best direction to bend the shelves. Best case senario is bending them both up, but the top shelf hits the top of the freezer and doesn’t leave enough room for the keg. Bending them down is pretty much the same result.

I’m scared to bend them against the walls because I think it might kink the lines. Ugh...if it was a three shelf, I’d be in much better shape.

What is the distance between the second shelf and the bottom of the freezer?

....... the best direction to bend the shelves.....

I would start by getting a tubing bender.
Tubing Bender.jpg
Than from what I can see of the bottom shelf(3rd), I think I would bend the tubes on the back wall just under the shelf above(2nd) at 90 degrees out toward the door keeping them right next to the left wall. Move down the tubing a bit and bend them 180 degrees so the shelf is standing against the back wall. If you take good measurements you should be able to get the bottom shelf standing very close to the back wall.

Next you should be able to take the the middle shelf(2nd) and bend it down against the back wall, it might over lap the lower shelf a bit.

You will most likely need to remove some(or all) of the 2 plastic shelf supports on both sides.

Like this mod from another thread:
IMG_20170311_163743591.jpg

Not sure about the top shelf because it is almost out of the frame.
22CE151A-37F9-470B-9FF7-3696304B8363.jpeg

Hope this helps.

I would start by getting a tubing bender.
View attachment 559831
Than from what I can see of the bottom shelf(3rd), I think I would bend the tubes on the back wall just under the shelf above(2nd) at 90 degrees out toward the door keeping them right next to the left wall. Move down the tubing a bit and bend them 180 degrees so the shelf is standing against the back wall. If you take good measurements you should be able to get the bottom shelf standing very close to the back wall.

Next you should be able to take the the middle shelf(2nd) and bend it down against the back wall, it might over lap the lower shelf a bit.

You will most likely need to remove some(or all) of the 2 plastic shelf supports on both sides.

Like this mod from another thread:
View attachment 559833

Not sure about the top shelf because it is almost out of the frame.
View attachment 559836

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend by cutting all of the center supports. If it works, awesome. If not, then I have an excuse to get that 10cu. freezer I've been wanting! :rock:

Well I finally got around to working on this thing. Decided to convert it into a fermenting chamber. The bricks in the pic are to elevate the carboy since the door hits it. it’s drfinitely not pretty, but it works.

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.

Latest posts

Back