Keg vs Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcworthBrewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just discovered this site, but it didn't take me long to see you guys know what you're doing... I think..:)

I did some bottling about 15 years ago but stopped. I wanted to get back into it and I saw you can brew beer in kegs. This works out great because I want to put two taps in my bar, one for Ale and one for a misc beer. But is it worth it to keg? I don't drink beer every day... sorry, forgive me...:) So how long will the beer stay fresh in the keg? Thats my main question.

Can you guys give me the advantages and disadvantages of both kegging and bottling?

Evaluate both options based on your resources, available space and time. Both are equally valid packaging/dispensing options- and neither is better or worse compared to the other on their own merits.

:mug:

...So how long will the beer stay fresh in the keg? Thats my main question.

Remembering that beer is alcohol, CO2 and hops, beer can stay "fresh" pretty indefinitely. Now there is a difference between fresh and at-its-prime.

I have beer in bottles that are 1+ years old and taste just great. But they are porters, stouts, light ales and some high octane stuff. I also have a few kegs that have been tapped after 6-10 months of cellar storage. A keg is no more than a giant beer can, so there's really no difference in shelf life as long as the kegged beer has adequate CO2 in solution.

Other freshly hopped beers have a shorter window for prime taste. They won't go bad...but they'll lose some of their hop aroma over extended periods.

I'd suggest you get back into brewing with your current equipment in earnest and then determine if you're going to stick with it long enough to invest the time and $$ into kegging equipment.

in my opinion, they both have their pluses and minuses. although, as previously stated, it's not too hard to go from keg to bottle, so if you can get into kegging cheaply enough, (which you can) you can easily have the best of both worlds. i used to keg, and have a couple growlers and i'd just fill up a growler or two if i was heading out. now that i've sold my kegging equipment (stupid me) and i'm bottling, i miss the advantages of pulling a fresh pint of my homebrew, and cleaning one vessel versus 50, etc.

I too struggled with this dilema for a while. I've bottled since I started brewing a year and a half ago and for the most part I didn't mind, but with a recent influx of Christmas moneys, I've decided to take the plunge to kegging. It was either keg or upgrade my AG setup (to single tier w/ March pumps, etc.), but I'm more happy with my AG setup than I am with the 4-5 hour bottling sessions (10 gallon batches).

UPS tracking today says "Status: Delivered", so there should be a 57lb box on my porch from Keg Connection when I get home.:ban: I've a batch of Bitter at the 3 week primary mark for my first kegging this weekend.

But bottle conditioned beer has just as much merit as kegging. If it weren't for the excess time and labor, I would still be bottling.

Hi All,

Just discovered this site, but it didn't take me long to see you guys know what you're doing... I think..:)

I did some bottling about 15 years ago but stopped. I wanted to get back into it and I saw you can brew beer in kegs. This works out great because I want to put two taps in my bar, one for Ale and one for a misc beer. But is it worth it to keg? I don't drink beer every day... sorry, forgive me...:) So how long will the beer stay fresh in the keg? Thats my main question.

Can you guys give me the advantages and disadvantages of both kegging and bottling?

Your beer will not go bad any faster in the keg than in a bottle provided both are sealed.
Kegging is nice because it is quicker and easier to transfer to a keg rather than fill 50 bottles. Its also nice to pull a draft if you like or even pull a small sample or half glass if the mood strikes.
However it costs much more up front for the equipment and you need a refrigerator big enough to fit the kegs. Plus it makes it more difficult to give out a few bottles or 6packs to friends you wish to share with.

I bottle but hope to keg soon.

Craig

...Its also nice...even pull a small sample or half glass if the mood strikes.

And the mood strike me pretty often. :D
Sample1.jpg

And the mood strike me pretty often. :D
View attachment 9176

Thanks... I really needed that...lol Major beer envy...:)

Thanks guys... got to love this forum...

One more question though. If I go the keg route I will have to have the fridge in one room and the taps in another. I'm looking at about 6' of line. If I keep the lines insulated will it be an issue? I'm hoping the beer will stay fresh in the line for a couple of days. If not this may be a nonstarter. Any ideas?

I'm a noob, but bought kegs and bottles right from the get go, I have done 8 batches and have yet to bottle any. Its just simple to keg, I have however filled up a few bottles from a keg to take to a party, its simple enough to bottle carbonated beer. The only disadvantage to kegging that I have noticed, althought I dont know that it is a disaddvantage, is that the beer seems to change when you get past half the keg. (it gets better) I dont know if its because of the aging or because I have consumed most of the sediment/yeast that has accumulated at the bottom. Once you get past the first 1/4 of the keg, the beer is clear and very little yeast. I suspect that if you were to bottle 5gal, all 48 12'ers would taste same more or less. THe only time it was a disadvantage was when I made witbier. I consumed all the yeast during the first half of the keg, the remaining keg was clear and tasted great, but it did not resemble a witbier anymore , no cloudiness or hint of orange peel/spice, etc. I suspect witbiers would be better off being bottled so you could roll the yeast in the last few ounces of beer.

Thanks... I really needed that...lol Major beer envy...:)

Thanks guys... got to love this forum...

One more question though. If I go the keg route I will have to have the fridge in one room and the taps in another. I'm looking at about 6' of line. If I keep the lines insulated will it be an issue? I'm hoping the beer will stay fresh in the line for a couple of days. If not this may be a nonstarter. Any ideas?

Ok, I don't want to kill your dream, and I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'd never do this. Yes, your lines will have to stay cold, and it is probably more of a technological hurdle than you will want to face.

That's my opinion. Someone with more knowledge on how to cool beer lines might want to chime in and help out.

Also, you say you don't drink that much, but once you have keg sitting there whispering, "Psst... Hey, you! Yes, You! Go grab a glass and I'll fill it up with beer! Delicious Homemade Beer! That's right, you just stand there, and I'll do all the work! That's right, go get that glass... Good boy! Good boy. Now come back when thats empty."

Even so, I am surprised at how long my Michigan Brewing Company IPA is lasting. Granted, I'm the only one who drinks it, but I have a Belgian Wit on stand by, and I think it's going to be nicely aged by the time that IPA runs out! Not to mention the Apfelwein in the other keg, which is still full...

Back