Keg to Kettle project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch101st

Reaction score
Scored a keg off of Craigslist for $40. Its in good condition, just needs som real cleanup.

I watch Yuri's videos on doing the conversion...think I can do most of it exept for the welding portion. I dont have the facilities for that sort of work, so will either take it to a buddies place the next time I am in Nevada or will hire out to do it.

At any rate, I cannot seem to locate any Barkeeper's Friend cleaner...anyone know where I can find that at?

Scored a keg off of Craigslist for $40. Its in good condition, just needs som real cleanup.

I watch Yuri's videos on doing the conversion...think I can do most of it exept for the welding portion. I dont have the facilities for that sort of work, so will either take it to a buddies place the next time I am in Nevada or will hire out to do it.

At any rate, I cannot seem to locate any Barkeeper's Friend cleaner...anyone know where I can find that at?

Welding shop, pay him for 10-15 mins of work :)
Shoot, the guy will probably take a 12 pk of some fizzy yellow beer.

This is the route of the mechanically & tool shop challenged..... I am a member :)

Good luck!

Ok, so this is proving to be hard to find here in the Sacramento area...

I tried Ace Hardware and Walmart- they had never heard of Bar Keepers...so I will be check the following today while I pick up my keg:

Bed, Bath, & Beyond
Cost Plus
Longs Drug Stores
Safeway
Smart & Final
Target

I hope ONE of these has it. I am sure that Smart and Final does...I should have gone there first, but it wasnt on the way home from work.

Ok, so this is proving to be hard to find here in the Sacramento area...

I tried Ace Hardware and Walmart- they had never heard of Bar Keepers...so I will be check the following today while I pick up my keg:

Bed, Bath, & Beyond
Cost Plus
Longs Drug Stores
Safeway
Smart & Final
Target

I hope ONE of these has it. I am sure that Smart and Final does...I should have gone there first, but it wasnt on the way home from work.

When I bought it at Walmart it was in the kitchen cleanser isle on the bottom shelf pretty much hidden from sight

I had the hardest time finding BKF near me.
Wound up stumbling into it at Target in the Kitchen cleaner aisle.

Another place I've seen BKF at least around here is the Cost Plus World Market.

I second Lowes as the location to buy BKF. Thats where I get mine.

On the welding of the kegs, there are two other options that are open to you. First, you can use weldless fittings. This is what I did with my currect setup and it works well. I got mine from the link below and was very happy with the price and the service:

Bargain Fittings

The other option is to solder the connections to the keg. I cannot speak from experience on this, but ran across this very interesting thread on another forum that gave some great information and links to supplies. Looks very simple. Ignore the post title and scroll down to see examples of the soldering and the links.

The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - 3 Gallon Corny Keg Leak at Handle Post-Help!

Hope this helps!

Ok, found some on the way home from picking up the keg...Bed Bath and Beyond had a MULTITUDE of it on hand. I got 2 liquids and 1 dry.

As for the keg...

It needs a lot of TLC. Some dirt and rust stains on it, a bit of corrosion on the side, but nothing major. I removed the ball lock on it and drained it, hit it with the flashlight as best as I could...it looks pretty good except the bottom is black with mold. Heavy duty cleaning once I get the top cut.

I still have not decided on what to do yet. Harbor Freight has a small hand grinder on sale for $10 and it looks like it will fit the bill. Then just a couple of metal cutting blades and a finishing one.

Then its off to get the step drill for the valve. I have not decided if I am going to get it welded or go weldless for this right now. I may just forgo welding for now and do it at another time when I can find someone to do it ultra cheap. Will see.

The keg also came with a tap...that needs some work as well. Once I get it into shape I will decide what to do with it...might ebay it, might keep it. Will see.

Pictures will go up later today. All in all, a good $40 spent.

Well, after a weekend of cleaning, I am all set for phase 2...cutting the top.

I picked up a small hand grinder (needed to get one anyhow) a couple of cutting disks, some wood, and hearing/eye protection. Got the jig together (thanks for the youtube videos, Bobby, I went over them like the Kennedy assassination film) and went to work in the garage.

I measured out the raidus of a lid I wanted to use and then got to work. All in all, took me about 30 minutes or so including the dressing up of the edges. The lid FITS PERFECTLY!

Next is to get the step drill and I have the weldless fittings ordered from Bargin Fittings...once thats done its cleaning up the inside a bit more and then I think I am in business!

Incidently, I have a March pump coming so I will be all set to AG brew full time now...I am in the process of designing my brewery. Still wont be permenent as I am still in an apartment, but will be moving to a bit bigger place soon.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure; sorry about the size, but I wanted as much detail to show as possible:

All cleaned up, ready to go:

Picture001-2.jpg

Virgin top (that sounds bad) ready to be cut:
Picture002-2.jpg

The jig is up...er, ready:
Picture003-2.jpg

Ho ho ho, I now have a keggle.
Picture004-1.jpg

Inside needs some TLC...not much but a little:
Picture005-1.jpg

The glass lid FITS. Not sure if I am going to go with this, but it works for now:
Picture006-1.jpg

Well, the keg is now a brew kettle!!

Got the fittings day before yesterday and got the hole drilled/fittings mounted last night.

Water test went really well, on small leak which I took care of with some teflon tape. The March 809 gets here today and then its a matter of doing the build for the brew rig. I still need to get another burner (any suggestions?!?!) and then will have my 2 tier rig done.

Pictures will be put up when I get a chance...

You cut that top off in your kitchen? Priorities seem to be perfectly straight sir!

Hehee..well, it helps playing the hapless bachelor, now don't it?!?! J.K.!

No, I did all the cutting down in the garage...my first 2 all grains were in the kitchen however.

I do want to thank you for all the "how to" information Bobby- its been a real help!!

Got my March 809 and a good start to my brewstand. Also, will be picking up a good deal off of Craigslist- full commercial all stainless steel Sunjoy trukey fryer set up with a nearly full propane tank for $50. That takes care of my 2nd burner situation.

Now to finish up the brewstand, build a simple switchbox for the pump, and I will be brewing with gas!

Latest posts

Back