Keg system cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
So it seems to me that purchasing a kegging system is actually relatively cheap. I've seen some sales where I can get a complete kegging system for just a hair under a hundred bucks. What is preventing me from starting to keg is that I have no spare refridgerator to cool it, I don't have 500 ish dollars to buy one. Is there a relatively cheap and easy way to cool a keg?

Whoa there - a complete kegging system, including a CO2 tank and a regulator, for under a hundred bucks? Hot damn! Where?

In terms of cheap cooling:
1) the great outdoors, or a porch, depending on outside temperature.
2) a bucket of water, perhaps with ice
3) the coldest closet in you house

These will all probably work to maintain cellar temperature, especially during the winter. Just focus on british beers.

This includes:

* Single Guage Regulator
* Used 5 gallon Keg
* Six (6) feet of Thick Wall Gas Line
* Picnic Tap and Dispensing Hose
* Barbed Gas and Beer disconnects
* Full Set of Instructions (Who reads these anyhow)

$89 is the Bare Bones Kit. You can add any of the options below to augment your kegging system.

Barbed Fittings will be supplied unless you upgrade to the quick disconnect fittings. These will allow you to add other options to your kegging system...well worth the $5 upgrade.

The dual guage regulator is for inert gases. If you might use Nitrogen to dispense a stout this is a good idea, otherwise save the $10.

The 5 and 10 LB tanks speak for themselves. If you can rent one locally, go for it. If not...we have some darn good prices!

You don't need to spend $500 on a full sized fridge. You could get yourself a mini-fridge like a Sanyo for under $200. Or you could hit craigslist and find one for a song. Also don't forget about the CO2 tank, that will probably run you around 70-$100 depending on your area.

I ended up with just a bit over $650 in mine. That includes a Sanyo, 2 perlicks, 5 lb tank, 4 kegs, dual faucet tower, dual body regulator, and 10 ft. of line for each faucet.

I actually have two kegging systems set up that I pieced together through craigslist.

For my mini fridge kegerator, I got the regulator and CO2 Tank as well as a perlick faucet for $80 bucks and a dual tap tower for $75. And I scored a sanyo mini fridge for $100 bucks off of CL. All in all it took me 6 months of scowering the site for the parts but wound up costing me $255. You just have to be patient.

My chest freezer was 60 bucks used off of CL the temperature controler was another 50, I had to buy taps and fittings for this one about another 100 bucks, and got cheap regulator off of CL for 40 bucks. All in all this one was under 250 if you don't count the fees to rent the 20lb co2 tank.

Latest posts

Back