Keg Gassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyL

Reaction score
Hi all, made my first batch a dry lager from the morgan can with the help of a experienced brewer and it came out ok but was a bit disappointed with the head presentation. The second brew was a dry blond which again I put on gas after it was ready to keg after 13 or so days and put it on gas at 12 psi for about 12 days. Again the head was not over good but was a little better so I put it back on gas for 16 hours on psi of 20 and it came up with a great looking creamy head. At this stage I was very happy. Finished that keg and made a dry draught from the morgan can, left it in for 10 to 14 days and then transferred it to the key. Decided after a few experts advised me about quick carbonation, I put the gas up to 30 psi and left it on for 20 hours. Poured a glass and it was still as flat as flat. So put it back on 30 psi for another 16 hours and the same result. Have now put it on 10-12 psi and going to leave it for 9 to 10 days and see what happens. Any clues on what I may have done wrong or is there a certain time for psi different levels as may 50 psi maybe only 12 hours etc. would appreciate any comments thanks to all who answer. Regards Tony

you say you put it on gas, then "put it back on gas"?

it's supposed to stay on gas.......
Yes I put it on gas and haven't taken it off gas. How long would you keep on gas and what psi would you use ?

How much headspace do you have? If you filled higher than the gas post it may take longer than normal to carb

Yes I put it on gas and haven't taken it off gas. How long would you keep on gas and what psi would you use ?

I burst carbonate all my beers, do the same thing every time never have flat beer

1. Keg Beer
2. Set beer at 30 PSI for 24 hours
3. Disconnect gas line, turn off gas, purge line, reattach and set it at 20 PSI for 48 hours
4. Same as 3, set at serving pressure which for me is 12 PSI for 72 hours
5. Drink and enjoy :)

All this is done in the kegerator. If this doesn't work then you need to look at your recipe and see what can be changed/added to get you the head retention you want.

Also just thought, could be your length of beer line. Too short of lines will allow release of CO2 and head retention will be terrible.

Hope this helps!

How much headspace do you have? If you filled higher than the gas post it may take longer than normal to carb
The keg is not full to to gas spout/post, just below about 2 inches.

I burst carbonate all my beers, do the same thing every time never have flat beer

1. Keg Beer
2. Set beer at 30 PSI for 24 hours
3. Disconnect gas line, turn off gas, purge line, reattach and set it at 20 PSI for 48 hours
4. Same as 3, set at serving pressure which for me is 12 PSI for 72 hours
5. Drink and enjoy :)

All this is done in the kegerator. If this doesn't work then you need to look at your recipe and see what can be changed/added to get you the head retention you want.

Also just thought, could be your length of beer line. Too short of lines will allow release of CO2 and head retention will be terrible.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for all that information, I will try your way and hopefully will get better bear tks again.
You say purge line what exactly do you mean, is it degas the keg or from the regulator ?

Detach gas line from keg, turn the gas off. Press little button inside the QD to release the CO2 inside the line.
Sorry Sammy but what is the QD button. I have been getting mixed messages from so called experts and it is doing my head in. I am happy with what you have shared with me so far and happy to use your method but dont think I have a button. I do have a pull button on the keg and a pull button on the regulator. Sorry for being a nuisance and probably asking stupid questions but I would like to get it right and into a system, thanks again.
Another chap said I should be putting gas into the keg before any beer goes in, then add beer leave for 24 hrs then unattach all and then pull the ring on the keg, then put gas on again for 48 hrs and then repeat then pull the ring on the keg again and then put on for 72 hrs on pouring psi 12 and then drink. It sounds much the same to yours but this purging is got me stumped whether it is degassing the keg a couple of times so to get rid of all the air out of the barrel. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
I do have a pull button on the keg and a pull button on the regulator. Sorry for being a nuisance and probably asking stupid questions but I would like to get it right and into a system, thanks again.

regulators tend to creap up, so it's best to turn them down then slowly raise them with the kegs off to see where it will land.....a PRV on a keg will vent just fine....sorry if i'm not giving expert advice, just my experience.....and people tell me i sound like an *******, i swear that's not the way i mean it.... :D

regulators tend to creap up, so it's best to turn them down then slowly raise them with the kegs off to see where it will land.....a PRV on a keg will vent just fine....sorry if i'm not giving expert advice, just my experience.....and people tell me i sound like an *******, i swear that's not the way i mean it.... :D
Thanks for your reply

I take a slightly different approach than most. Two weeks in the kegerator at serving pressure, usually 12 psi. Carbonates and matures past the "green" beer taste. Make sure you purge oxygen from the keg, using the pull ring on the pressure relief works great. Hope you find your method.

I take a slightly different approach than most. Two weeks in the kegerator at serving pressure, usually 12 psi. Carbonates and matures past the "green" beer taste. Make sure you purge oxygen from the keg, using the pull ring on the pressure relief works great. Hope you find your method.
Thanks for your input, I definately appreciate it.

Sorry Sammy but what is the QD button. I have been getting mixed messages from so called experts and it is doing my head in. I am happy with what you have shared with me so far and happy to use your method but dont think I have a button. I do have a pull button on the keg and a pull button on the regulator. Sorry for being a nuisance and probably asking stupid questions but I would like to get it right and into a system, thanks again.
Another chap said I should be putting gas into the keg before any beer goes in, then add beer leave for 24 hrs then unattach all and then pull the ring on the keg, then put gas on again for 48 hrs and then repeat then pull the ring on the keg again and then put on for 72 hrs on pouring psi 12 and then drink. It sounds much the same to yours but this purging is got me stumped whether it is degassing the keg a couple of times so to get rid of all the air out of the barrel. Thanks again for your help.
QD's are the quick disconnect fittings that connect the gas and beer lines to the keg. If you look inside the part that fits on the keg post, there is a short shaft (or button) that sticks out from the bottom of the cavity. This is a spring loaded "poppet" that seals off the line when the connector is not on the keg, and when placed on the keg, the poppet on the keg post pushes on the poppet in the QD, thus opening a path for gas or liquid to flow. Pressing the poppet shaft on a disconnected gas QD will release the pressure inside the gas tubing.

Brew on :mug:

QD's are the quick disconnect fittings that connect the gas and beer lines to the keg. If you look inside the part that fits on the keg post, there is a short shaft (or button) that sticks out from the bottom of the cavity. This is a spring loaded "poppet" that seals off the line when the connector is not on the keg, and when placed on the keg, the poppet on the keg post pushes on the poppet in the QD, thus opening a path for gas or liquid to flow. Pressing the poppet shaft on a disconnected gas QD will release the pressure inside the gas tubing.

What he said!

Ok got it now thanks for all your help

Thanks for your reply
Sorry but all the so call experts I speak of are not on line people just friends who are doing my head in with so many different versions of what I should do. Your answers are more assuring to me than my friends so thanks again.

Back