Keg Dry Hop = Hop particles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiveohmike

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First time dry hopping in a keg. Used 4oz whole leaf Cascade hops in a DIPA. Its been about a week at 42 degrees / 12 psi. I pulled one pint out and noticed there are a ton of hop particles, so I pulled another pint and the same thing.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Hey Guys,

First time dry hopping in a keg. Used 4oz whole leaf Cascade hops in a DIPA. Its been about a week at 42 degrees / 12 psi. I pulled one pint out and noticed there are a ton of hop particles, so I pulled another pint and the same thing.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

Maybe the hops sacks weren't tightly woven? I use the 'fine mesh' hop sacks when I dryhop in the keg.

You may get a clogged diptube if this continues, but hopefully most of what you are getting is just the stuff right off of the bottom and it will stop.

Did you use a mesh bag or anything to contain the hops? If not, yes I'd imagine you have a fat layer of hops on the bottom of that keg. Especially with 4oz

Maybe the hops sacks weren't tightly woven? I use the 'fine mesh' hop sacks when I dryhop in the keg.

You may get a clogged diptube if this continues, but hopefully most of what you are getting is just the stuff right off of the bottom and it will stop.

Hey Yooper, thanks for the reply. I am using the hop bags from morebeer.com. Seemed pretty tight, but maybe not.

http://www.morebeer.com/products/bag-9-12-mesh-hop.html

Is it safe to drink lol?

That should work. Hopefully it's done giving you particles, as a clogged diptube really sucks.

If the beer tastes good, drink up!

Thanks, hoping it clears up in a couple of pints.

If not, just getting a little extra plant fiber with the beer ;)

It tastes fantastic....dry hopping in the keg is the business.

I dry hop in kegs using paint strainer bags and pellet hops and just let them float in the keg in until the keg is gone. usually takes a few glasses to clear up but eventually becomes real clear. I usually end up with a clean spot around dip tube with some hop matter around that when I clean the keg.

For leaf hops I use a sure screen on the dip tube. You'll get some floaties on the first few pints, but it gets better after that. If I use pellets I'll use the sure screen and a hop bag over the dip tube. That way I can just let the hops float freely in the keg and never worry about anything getting through the dip tube.

Back