Keg Cop: Keg Monitoring and Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
OP
LBussy
Reaction score
Fun news:
I just released my latest project - BrewFlasher Web Edition! Flash BrewPi-ESP8266 (amongst other projects!) to your controller, straight from your web browser.

This project took all the magic of BrewFlasher, and stuck it in a web app. Flash any ESP8266/ESP32 firmware supported by BrewFlasher, straight from your web browser. No downloads needed.

BrewFlasher Web Edition is available at: BrewFlasher Web Edition

The code is open source, and is available at GitHub.

Note - Due to the APIs required, BrewFlasher Web Edition only works in recent desktop versions of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera. If you don't use one of those browsers, try BrewFlasher desktop edition instead.
Yes, Keg Cop is supported by BrewFlasher Web Edition!

theglobalguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Certainly allowing people to integrate this into RPints was a goal so I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you. I would not be surprised if some tweaks are warranted.

Parts finally arrived (at least enough to do the basics), and I soldered everything together and got the interface up, so I'll be playing with this over the weekend. I need to rebuild a rpints instance, and I'm converting the kegerator over to quick disconnects at the same time, so hopefully I'll get some connectivity this weekend. Would love to see "proper" mqtt support for integration with Home Assistant at some point, but that's definitely on the "nice to have" category. Will report back when I get things going.

theglobalguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the basics set up; kegcop standalone is working fantastic. I'm still waiting for my relay to show up so that I can hand control of the kegerator temp control over, but the flowmeters and temp sensors are working great! Thanks as well for the .stl files for the cases...they fit perfectly when I printed them.

So, I'm trying to rebuild my old rpints instance at the moment...it's been a year since I used it so I'm starting from scratch. In the meantime, I've pointed kegcop at my mosquitto mqtt broker but I'm not seeing anything show up. No connections, no nothing. I'll try again using a mosquitto instance on the rpints server in a bit and see if that works any better.

Anyway, once I get a little more data put together that will help with some troubleshooting I'll put in either an issue on github, or maybe try to figure out the issue and see what I can do to contribute some code. I'm completely new to the esp world but I'm having fun learning.

OP
OP
LBussy
Reaction score
I did test with mosquito but I will admit that mqtt may be the least tested function. It didn’t seem to need much and is sort of outside of the main processing. If it doesn’t show up, you might try either a serial monitor or telnetting in (pretty sure I left that turned on). If you don’t see anything when you telnet in, just a blank screen, type “d” to put it in debug mode.

Telnet debug will “break” the rpints functionality, just remember to turn it back off with “d” again.

theglobalguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did test with mosquito but I will admit that mqtt may be the least tested function. It didn’t seem to need much and is sort of outside of the main processing. If it doesn’t show up, you might try either a serial monitor or telnetting in (pretty sure I left that turned on). If you don’t see anything when you telnet in, just a blank screen, type “d” to put it in debug mode.

Telnet debug will “break” the rpints functionality, just remember to turn it back off with “d” again.
So I'm actually a little confused at this point. How are rpints and kegcop supposed to talk to each other? I see in the kegcop configuration that under url, it's pre-configured for rpints.local. But then there's also the Raspberry pints section that looks like it's for Mqtt style configuration. Is there a better method of communicating with Rpints that's not MQTT?

It's been over a year since I last had my arduino based rpints working, so the functionality after that time frame is new to me. Going back to the rpints thread, there's a few mentions of mqtt functionality, but I'm not finding many details of how to best use it.

OP
OP
LBussy
Reaction score
What’s funny is that I forgot my plan. :)

So if you have the serial plugged into your Pi just as you would an Arduino, it will report to RPints. RPints is also supposed to receive MQTT pours but you’ll have to go over to the RPints thread for more info on that.

Using serial will require you keep the debug off - that’s what I was talking about with the “d” command. It should be off by default.

“Someone” can also add telnet capability to the RPints if they feel like it. That’s how @Thorrak ported BrewPi to the esp8266.

DaveS

Reaction score
@LBussy would you mind posting the IO's numbers used for the DS18B20's,first 2 flowmeters and cooling relay and where pullup resistors are needed,or a schematic diagram ?
I have bought some really cheap flowmeters and would like to bodge the wiring to test accuracy (and foaming) before making boards and printing enclosures.
swissflow meters are ridiculously expensive in my country.
cheers

OP
OP
LBussy
Reaction score
I’m mobile right now but if you install Eagle you can download the board file and schematic here:

You can scan the config.cfg for the pin numbers:

DaveS

Reaction score
Got it from config file.
Will upload a picture of the flowmeter used if tests are successful.
Thanks

DaveS

Reaction score
I might be doing something wrong but when changing the set point temperature under settings > temperature > control and pressing update button,after returning to the home screen it is still showing setpoint at default 1.7 degrees.
Going back to the settings page shows 1.7 again.
I tried firefox,chrome and edge with the same result.
Any idea how to resolve this ?
All other user settings are sticking after changing from default

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just found out about this project and listened to the podcast on HomeBrewing DIY. I have been looking at a solutions to monitor the keg levels in my home bar and was considering the Plaato but since I have six kegs, it gets expensive quickly. This solution looks good.

A couple of questions.
1) It is not clear to me what the circuit board is for. Dont the flow meters just connect to the ESP8266 headers?
2) I have tried Raspberry pints but ended up with TapItGood as a visual tool to tell guests about my beers. Will this work with TapItGood or only Raspberry pints?
3) At the Homebrew/home bar scale, is there a big difference between the high end SwissFlo meters and the much cheaper flow meters out there? The major difference seems to be the connection method.

Thanks