Keg Cop: Keg Monitoring and Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
LBussy
Reaction score
So I'm not familiar with GitHub and how it works...that's the 2nd 'issue' raised due to my fumbling around. Is that just like a notepad to remind you of the problem?
It gives me a list, but most importantly it allows me to attribute code changes and releases to the issues in which they were raised. For larger projects, I can set up boards, etc.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an electrical engineering question, not beer question, but I noticed that you have both 1uF and 0.1uF decoupling capacitors between 5V and ground. How is the noise with just 0.1uF? I usually only use the lower value based on this post (and a 100nF on its own generally working):

If the answer is "it depends, buy a scope" then, damnit, you've given me a great excuse to buy a scope... :yes:

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, the excuse I was looking for!

I was looking at the Siglent Technologies SDS1102CML which has two channels and 100 MHz camping for under $300, although the 200 MHz SDS SDS1202X-E is only $50 more and has great reviews. Let me know what you got.

day_trippr

Get the shot ffs! Sheesh!
Reaction score
[...]maybe @day_trippr can tell us why that combo is magic.
It's a fairly generic approach that's been around since the TTL and through-hole package days. The two values broaden the frequency coverage of either alone, and as decoupling capacitors historically were only slightly more expensive than tap water the only hold-backs were board space. Even then, given 0201 and even 1005 SMT package sizes, that still wasn't a problem even when I retired last year :)

Cheers!

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured the combination of the two resonances would give a broader frequency range for the filtering, I was curious how much was needed. At < 10c for a cap, more is probably better. Lee has forced me to buy an oscilloscope*, so I’ll run some tests on the 5V line and see how much noise there is with one and two caps when switching the digital lines.

* that’s my story and I’m sticking to it when my wife asks.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I also misread that blog post that I posted above... I thought they were looking at adding 1uF to a circuit that already has a 100nF decoupling capacitor, but they were looking at either 1uF or 100nF and... duh, the 100nF is better at suppressing higher frequency noise because the pole is at a higher frequency.

Well, scope ordered. Be nice to finally own a digital one as my last one was an analogue CRT scope that my dad brought me for Christmas from the local army surplus store many years ago...

OP
LBussy
Reaction score
Lee has forced me to buy an oscilloscope […] that’s my story and I’m sticking to it when my wife asks.
Your wife won’t be the first one to be pissed at me. Hell, I’ve got a few of my own.

Share the scope captures when you get them, I never actually tested that. Dave told me he “sprinkles [decoupling caps] around like candy” so ever since then I do the same. I know I’m off on the skinny branches when he tells me “vaya con dios” so I pretty much do what he says.