Keg conditioning temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I just kegged my red ale last night and am planning on conditioning it for about a month. I initially was planning to just cold condition it in my fridge but now I am wondering if that is the best course of action. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

It depends on what the beer needs. If it needs some aging to smooth out, beer ages faster at room temperature. If it doesn't need aging, then cold conditioning can clear and smooth out the flavors of the beer.

You know, I am not really sure exactly what it needs right now. First time ever making this beer. It is not an overly big beer ( 1.061 down to 1.015 gravity ). IBU's up around 34. I just thought aging it a while would be a nice tough to it. The taste of the beer was pretty good when I put it into the keg. I would really like it to be a nice super clear beer that errors on the side of hop flavor ( used cascade, centennial and magnum).

If looking at four weeks before serving, I'd go with basement temps for three weeks at about 20psi and then serving temperature and pressure for one week.

Back