Keg conditioning screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erichsmith

Reaction score
Kegged my winter warmer last Friday and thought it would be a good idea to keg condition it. It's an all grain spice lager. I added 5oz of priming sugar left over from an old kit. I have an event this Saturday that I'm supposed to have this beer. I'm afraid it won't be carbed enough and will be to sweet. Any suggestions? I do have a hazelnut brown ale ready to go if I can't fix this one in time. I also use Sanke kegs.

one week isn't enough time to naturally carb, can you force carb?

5 oz is probably too much sugar...

Agree with the previous poster, put it on gas now, keep it as cold as possible, and let it carb up. If you want it ready by Saturday, you should shake it while under pressure and you'll have carbed beer. That said, it still won't be conditioned by then, and may be sweet from the unfermented priming sugar.

The sweetness is my concern. I don't have a problem with force carbonation but how much of the sugar will affect the beer. It is a spice chai beer so a little residual sweetness won't hurt it but I don't want it to taste like candy either.

I'd force carb it then, and give it a try. Worst case: it's too sweet and you need to leave it for a another week or 2 to finish out. I don't think there's another choice, unfortunately.

Also, just reread your original post and noticed that this is a lager; if you've lagered for a while and it's dropped nice & clear, you may not have enough yeast in suspension to gobble up the sugar. May need to give it another dose of yeast, but only time will tell.

Just tapped it and it's perfect. A little cloudy but I think it will settle. The learning never stops as a homebrewer.

Latest posts

Back