Keezer is dying! AAaaaaghhh!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it. I had nothing but trouble getting my Octoberfest together and now, just a week into fermenting, my keezer is dying. The Ranco is desperately trying to get the temp down but the lowest I've been able to get out of it is 57º. The lagering stage is not looking good at this point. I've played with the temp setting on the freezer, unplugged it for a few hours, let it rest at a set point of 58º overnight, but no luck. The compressor works but it's hot. I'm thinking that I'm losing Freon.

On the plus side, I hadn't started building it into my bar yet, so I didn't waste any time there. Now I have to decide if I want to drop a bucket load of money on a new freezer or go with an old used one again. SWMBO is patient and very nice, but it's her turn to buy something for herself. It always seems to be my turn so I have to make sure she gets her toy.

Damn. Someone invite me over for a beer. I need a hug.

I've got a cold one here for you- and a hug! :mug:

That just sucks! Well, as you said, the bright side is that you haven't had to rip your bar apart! You know everybody's advice is going to be to buy a new one- especially if you plan on keeping it for a while! I guess you could keep an eye out for a used fridge or freezer as a "just for now" stage, if you could get one really cheap.

Pisser, dude, but you ain't getting a hug from me!

If I were building the freezer into the bar, I'd probably drop the coin and buy a new one. But, that's me, I'd hate to have to rip everything out because the used one I bought kicked out after a year.

my SWMBO hasn't gotton anything since i started brewing.. hope she sticks around!

:off: SWMBO'd got a Brandee new Snowmobile for Christmas. So I am buying me a Brandee new Refidgerator this Spring:fro:

Buy a new Freezer so that you won't have to worry about pulling it out of a finsihed Bar.

New chest freezers are in the $150 range and much better insulated than ones even 5 years old. My food freezer has two inches of foam, the kezzer, three.

david_42 said:
New chest freezers are in the $150 range and much better insulated than ones even 5 years old. My food freezer has two inches of foam, the kezzer, three.

Not where I am. For a comparable size chest freezer I'm looking at least $500. I wouldn't hesitate for $150, but that's a used one for me.

I think the lager is going to be a write off. I'll probably sit for a bit and wait for a scratch and dent sale or someting. SWMBO is a genius at finding bargains so she might come up with something.

So what do you guys think I should do with this lager?

Manitoba, Canada; current temperature -7C. Move the keezer outside & put a light bulb connected to the Ranco in it. Of course, the local booze moose might steal it.;)

Even a cardboard box with the light bulb would work. Doesn't get as cold here (only -2C this morning), but that's how I do my lagering.

Dude, you're in Canada! I can lager in my garage with a tub full of water, bottle water turned to ice and a leaky garage door seal. keeps it at 40 degrees F with only 1 12 oz bottle of Ice. throw a couple of more in there and it gets down into the 30's.

Dont write off the Lager!!

Well, it's been a long haul of 55º beer until the thaw and then running out to the garage to my little fridge that tends to freeze the bottom of the keg, but SWMBO spied a huge freezer in a yard sale for $10. It's 5' x 3' and works fine. I understand and agree with those who said to buy new, but I've been dropping my coin on taps and associated gear so I had to do the bargain thing. I hooked it up to my Ranco today and she cooled to drinking temps incredibly fast.

So I'll build this into my bar with the thought that I'll have to be able to remove it with little effort when it too dies. Thanks to Yooper for the virtual hug and for those too uncomfortable with their sexuality to embrace a man WHO'S KEEZER DIED, phhhhht. Don't you know it's perfectly okay to embrace another man during sporting events and times of personal beer crisis?

Just a thought...

Go to the store and measure some freezers. Then design your bar to accommodate several sizes. And make sure you leave a way to get that $10 one of there without damaging the bar.

Latest posts

Back