Keezer insulation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzrp

n00b
Reaction score
Hi all been lurking for a while and using forum as a resource!

I have a question regards insulating keezer collar. I have read on here that it’s best to insulate (seems logical) and most examples I’ve seen people use a foil backed board.

When I went to buy some from B&Q they only had bare foam board (apart from super thick boards which weren’t suitable).

Should I try and coat the foam board with anything like kitchen foil, paint etc or will it insulate fine as it is without the extra membrane?

Just use plain foam board. That's what we did and then we used foil tape (often found in the HVAC duct aisle in home improvement stores) to seal the corners and where it meets the freezer body at the bottom and the wood collar at the top. The foil tape is used to air seal HVAC ducts, so I figured it would work well to keep air and moisture from getting behind the insulation, and defeating the point of insulation.

Just use plain foam board. That's what we did and then we used foil tape (often found in the HVAC duct aisle in home improvement stores) to seal the corners and where it meets the freezer body at the bottom and the wood collar at the top. The foil tape is used to air seal HVAC ducts, so I figured it would work well to keep air and moisture from getting behind the insulation, and defeating the point of insulation.

Thanks for your reply, I did very similar in the end

Attachments

• E18F2CB3-B420-42D0-AAAE-9648DE563F41.jpeg
    E18F2CB3-B420-42D0-AAAE-9648DE563F41.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
I insulated my keezer collar with thick neoprene foam (adhesive backed). I did use the aluminum tape in the corners and such. I saw an immediate improvement in how much it was running once I did that. There are some areas without coverage. Mostly due to it being a total pain to try to get foam there. That's around the beer shanks.

Mine might not be all shiny, but it works. Since no one else really goes into the keezer but me (and my brew biatch) it doesn't matter.

I insulated my keezer collar with thick neoprene foam (adhesive backed). I did use the aluminum tape in the corners and such. I saw an immediate improvement in how much it was running once I did that. There are some areas without coverage. Mostly due to it being a total pain to try to get foam there. That's around the beer shanks.

Mine might not be all shiny, but it works. Since no one else really goes into the keezer but me (and my brew biatch) it doesn't matter.

Agree doesn’t really matter how it looks apart from for OCD sake. I also know as tidy as mine looks now as soon as I start drilling in for the shanks and wires I’m going to make a total mess of it too haha 😂

Yup... That's why I made all the holes before the collar even went onto the freezer. Easier to clean up in the basement/garage (if I cared to) than where it sits now. At least the collar will come off easily when it's time to move.

Back