Keezer heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebrown52

Reaction score
I live in ny and the outside Temps are well below freezing my keezer stays in the garage that is not heated so my question is....is there any reason that a hair dryer hooked to a dual stage controller would be unsafe? Seems better than a paint can heater to me even tho I sure the can would be fine thanks in advace

Sub-freezing temperatures and a domestic appliance compressor is a bad match from the jump from a longevity aspect, but one has to do what one has to do.

Those boxes are pretty well insulated, and most hair dryers produce up to a thousand watts of thermal energy - which would be at least an order of magnitude higher than conceivably necessary.

There are "personal heaters" in the 200 watt range that would still be overkill in a heated environment, but would be a good fit given your circumstances...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be surprised at how well the paint can heater works. The key is to use a lower wattage bulb like a 40W or even a 25W. In a confined, insulated space like that, a little bit of subtle warmth goes a long way and will avoid temp swings.

Nix the hair dryer idea. That much wattage won't give you the steady temp you're looking for.

I live in ny and the outside Temps are well below freezing my keezer stays in the garage that is not heated so my question is....is there any reason that a hair dryer hooked to a dual stage controller would be unsafe? Seems better than a paint can heater to me even tho I sure the can would be fine thanks in advace

This is what I use in my fermentation chamber. Works beautifully. I'm going to be ordering another for my keezer since it's in my unheated garage and the outside temps have been in the single digits overnight lately.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRFFC4W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Paint can heater. Quick, efficient and cheap. Get a rough duty bulb and your good to go. It was -15 outside, 22 in my garage, and a nice 34 in my keezer.

I got a reptile mat that was sticky on one side and I use that. In sub freezing temps, my term chamber is sitting at 62F.

I ended up adding a small pc fan to circulate and just a 40 watt light bulb and Temps have been solid the freezer and the light bulb are plugged into my stc 1000 controller

Back