keeping that keg cold on vacation

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have made a raspberry ale that I am going to keg and take to OC Maryland next saturday. How does everyone keep the kegs cold when they take them somewhere. It won't all be drunk in a day so I will need to keep ice on it. The only thing I can think of is to buy a tall kitchen garbage can and just keep filling it with ice. One though I had was to buy like a 5 gal gatorade (or similar) water container and use a jig saw to cut out a whole in the lid for the keg to fit in so it keeps the ice a little longer. PLEASE give me better suggestions if you have them!! thanks again!

dataz722

Reaction score
I would use a jockey box. But then again I already have one to use :D

There are actually a few options. You could go college kegger style and get a big bucket and fill it with ice and just keep adding ice. You could use a jockey box (expensive but REALLY good to have). You could get the "keg glove" with 2 or 3 sets of ice packs. You could get a big ass trash can put taps on it and fill it with ice. Or you could have me down and we will finish it off in one day and not have to worry! :D

kanielb1

Reaction score
Get ya a dorm fridge, a power inverter, an extension cord, and some straps. Put the keg in the fridge, plug the fridge into the power inverter with the extension cord, and strap down in the bed of your truck.

purechaos

Reaction score
I have taken my keg place in my 10 gallon igloo mash tun, if u had an extra one you could cut a whole in lid and keep it cold a lot longer

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I wrap a bottling bucket in a large towel and hold it in place with a couple of bungie cords. The cornie fits great.

Just load ice in around the cornie and add water toward the top.

If you want to add more ice just open the bucket tap and add more ice.

Some complain about the top being exposed to the sun. If that's the case then cover it up. Me, I figure the cold beer comes from the bottom so I just RDWHAHB...:mug:

PS...doing this tomorrow myself...;)

OP
T

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
thanks for all the suggestions...i think I may try to get a 5 gal igloo and cut a hole in the lid to keep the ice longer...I'll let you know how it goes!!!

Latest posts